Is this racist?!

I remarked at my stylist's salon that it was great that they had a stylist that was,and spoke,Hmong so that the older ladies that came in had someone that spoke their language and they'd have an easier time conversing in case they didn't speak English well. My stylist was appalled that I'd say that! the Hmong stylist was just remarking at my last visit that her clientele list had tripled by word of mouth from her Hmong clients. When I was there,she had 3 ladies getting simultaneous perms!

So what's so wrong with my saying this? If you were an immigrant living in a foreign country,wouldn't you appreciate someone who spoke your language well? 

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:27 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Just for Fun

• You were not wrong. My family & I are stationed in Japan & the language is very difficult to learn. When we go off base it's so nice to know that there are many local's who speak English & if you come across one who doesn't they do their best to find you someone who does. You were merely stating an obvious fact & speaking kindly. You were not complaining.
    Amysan2

Answer by Amysan2 at 11:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Can you imagine living in a country and not speaking the language well? It would be great to find someone to connect with, especially when getting your hair done. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't find it racist at all! Sounds like you were trying to help...and did lol...some people can be so freaking weird
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:30 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Some people can't seem to tell the difference between appreciating the diversity in our society and being racist.

Not EVERYTHING related to race is racist. Are we supposed to pretend we don't notice that there are many different kinds of people?

As long as you aren't lumping all Hmong (or any other group) people in one box, and limiting or stereotyping them based on a label you/society put on that box, you're probably alright.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Evidently your stylist must be a bit jealous?????????????? You did fine
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes but in a pc culture you will be racist for saying things like that.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:29 AM on May. 18, 2011

• jealous much stylist, that is all.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 11:30 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I would be happy to have someone that spoke my language if I was in a foreign country, but now days, you can't point out any differences in people without some backlash. Even if what you said was a compliment.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:31 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Nope not racist. People just like to throw the race card around.

Answer by gemgem at 11:32 AM on May. 18, 2011

• No it's not racist.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 11:33 AM on May. 18, 2011