If your 2nd grader choked another 2nd grader, what punishment do.....

do you think is appropriate from the school?

Flipflopping, how would you feel if your 2nd grader was choked by a peer on the playground?

I am asking because a friends kid recently did this and she was upset with the punishment the school dished out. I personally thought they were too lenient. Anyway- I'm interested in your opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No recess for the remainder of 2008, letter of aplogy, and possible suspension (depending on the kid and the cicumstances) also referral to counseling.
    At home: loss of privilages for 2 wks (no tv, computer, outside time etc) Talk to a counselor, serious discussion of how dangerous this is.
    Face-to-face apology to child and their family
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I'm not sure that I would be so concerned with the punishment. I'd focus on why he/she did it and where they learned that behavior from and do some damage control...fast.
    Anonymous

• Wow- that is a pretty violent thing to do. If one of my children were to choke another child I would expect them to be expelled or at least suspended. I mean I expect a 3 year old to be 'handsy' and hit... thats when you teach them not to do that. But 2nd grade, thats old enough to control those emotions and not do that..
    shana.maria81

Answer by shana.maria81 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• No playground for a week. Write a letter of apology? I'm not sure but I would be upset if that happened to my son. If he did it, I would not tolerate it - I cannot stand violence.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 8:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• So young to be choking someone. I would think that they would need to look into the reasons why a child that young is so aggressive. At minimum, they would need to suspend the child.

If it were my child, there would be serious punishment dished out at home above and beyond what the school could do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• first off i'd look for a good therapist. as for the punishment, i would expect the child, even mine to be suspended and i personally would make them wright an essay on why we don't choke people then an apology letter.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 8:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• If my child did it, I would first find out why, then tan his hide unless he had a dang good reason to do it. I would expect him to be suspended and I would personally make him give a public appology to the kid he choked. I would also expect the same from anyone in elementary school who did that.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Our school district is a "no tolerance" district. The child would be expelled for three days at the minimum. I think I would def find out where that type of aggression is coming from if it was my child. Is he angry /short tempered? Perhaps learning how to deal with his anger before he reaches the "red zone".
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I would definately expect that child to be suspended, regardless of if it was mine or not, and I would suggest therapy for the child that did it. He or she must have some sever anger management issues to work out.
    tiffanyp1980

Answer by tiffanyp1980 at 5:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My friend (who's DS will be 6 this month), got a call from her son's preschool earlier this year. When she got there, she found out her son had grabbed another child, shove his head under water and held it there. He was expelled from the school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2008