Why Ask Personal Medical Questions?

Even if you called up your doctor, they would ask you to come in for test to be sure. If you feel that bad why not go to the hospital or urgent care, even the urgent care will tell you to go to the ER. For information on conditions and medications there is this www.webmd.com  So why ask here?

sweet11-12

Asked by sweet11-12 at 11:30 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• I don't think anyone would actually try something someone suggested without verifying it first, or at least I would hope not. I mean, I've been certified in both Respiratory and as an EMT. I can still offer advice, but not expect anyone not to verify it. Also in the responses, it's usually worded as "this is what worked for me, or what I have done"... Not "this is what you have to do". I can see where you are coming from, but again, it's the internet and all internet references should be checked for accuracy.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:46 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Because here you can get actually personal experiences.......at least that's why I ask sometimes.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:32 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My guess is that our health care system sucks in this country and people do not have extra money to run to the doctor for every ailment. Most people take the advice with a grain of salt. It is just like you would call and talk to your mom, best friend or sister about a medical issue to get their take on it, it is the same as asking here. Only there are so many different people here with completely differing experiences, so the chances are that you will get some pretty good advice.

Now... Just a disclaimer...because I know the ninnies will come out and argue...Of course CMer's are not medical experts, so you should always consult a doctor.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:36 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Some don't have good insurance or any at all for that matter. This is a way to try to get some type of idea of what might be wrong.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 11:33 AM on May. 18, 2011

• what Dahis said. webmd isn't going to diagnose you correctly all the time lol
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:33 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Because some other moms might have gone through something similar. Our daughter has Raynaud's Syndrome. We saw 7 doctors (5 of them specialists) trying to find out what was wrong with her (it's only in her feet) and not one of them could help. BUT, we were at a friend's house who has a cousin with Raynaud's and she instantly knew what our daughter had. We went back to the doctor and got an official diagnosis, but without another mom we would have never found out. And, had I asked around first we could have saved thousands in doctor and lab fees.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:34 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Gosh, I guess I do because I'd like to get an opinion.?? If I have a symptom or a sign, I'd like to see if anyone else is getting that same sign or symptom, or maybe I am just imagining it. I'm not going to go to the Dr. and pay upwards of $80.00 just to ask a question. LOL! Sometimes, it's a matter of asking if someone else has experienced this or that and then seeing what they did about it, or what the outcome of it was. Back in the day, we could actually call ER or the Pharmacy and they would give us advice, but not anymore. Those days are long gone. This is easy and quick.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on May. 18, 2011

• bc its crap and doesnt work good
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 11:41 AM on May. 18, 2011

• But this is not good either and could be very risky, I would not do it. I did try the urgent care and even they would not help me and was told to go to the ER, they just did not want the responsibility.
    sweet11-12

Comment by sweet11-12 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on May. 18, 2011

• m-avi,
    I totally understand and I'm not a fan of the medical profession at all, they have done a number on me, I just say be careful and you seem like you are. thank you.
    sweet11-12

Comment by sweet11-12 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on May. 18, 2011