Passing our own prejudices to our children?

From extended breastfeeding post (about the park ban), I read several woman state that they "don't want their children seeing that", or "they don't want to explain that to their kids". Now, not just with breastfeeding, but in general we have our own opinions, biases, and comfort levels with many situations. I've heard this same statement when in regards to homosexuals as well.

Its all well and good to state that you do not want your children to be exposed to those things, or do not want to explain those things to your kids, but when it happens, when they are exposed, how will you explain it? And will you try to explain it in a non biased, non judgmental way, or will you pass on your own views to your children?

Do you have a prejudice? And do you plan on passing that to your children?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 11:33 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't want my children seeing a woman breastfeeding a 10 year old!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I think everyone will to an extent, even without realizing it. However, I'm going to be as open as possible with my son and allow for him to make the judgement unless it's something that will clearly harm him. I'll guide him through life but not live it for him.

and how naive/childish for people to make comments on how gross or inappropriate breastfeeding is. that's what boobs are for! society is the one that has turned them into something sexual
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:38 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I try and teach my children to be opened minded however I also teach them to do so in our faith as well. Now we may not agree with somethings going on but we don't treat people different for it! We teach our children to treat anyone how they want to be treated.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:39 AM on May. 18, 2011

• who the hell breastfeeds a 10yr old? That's a bit overboard there
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 11:39 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Honestly, I have very few prejudices. I won't say I have none, that's largely impossible, but I'm just about off the charts liberal. It'd be hard to find something that people do in public that I'd be offended by and have difficulty explaining to my children. In the event that I did come across something like that, if it wasn't something that was against my ethics, I'd explain as best I could without judgment or bias. If it was something against my ethics, like a mother slapping her kid around in public, I'd very much let my prejudice show.

And, the fact that anyone is upset about public breastfeeding is bloody disgusting.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

• It's something you really can't avoid, unfortunately. About the breastfeeding dilemma... I think those that have or do breastfeed view it a lot differently than those that do not. For those that do not, it's kind of an uncomfortable situation explaining what that mom is doing to our children, when they themselves, have never seen it done. I know when I was growing up, and I had 12 different aunts, I can never remember seeing anyone breastfeed. Everyone I knew bottle fed their babies. So, to me, yes, it was very strange. I think it all just depends on how you grew up.. you tend to see the world from a somewhat narrow spectrum.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I still breastfeed my four year old. If I had cause to do it in public, I would. I'd love to see someone give me lip over it. They'd feel pretty foolish after confronting me. Most people do. I really know how to make someone look like an asshole in public.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I teach my children from my point of view, like every parent does whether they are conscious of it or not. There is a saying it is something like "See the child know the parents". I make no apologies to anyone for teaching my children things I personally believe in and hold close to my heart. Once they are old enough they can come up with their own opinions or choose to carry on the same beliefs I do. As for breastfeeding none of my kids think anything about it. I breastfed, so did their sister while she lived with us. It is totally natural and no big deal.

Answer by gemgem at 11:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't deliberately expose my kids but when they see something then ask me about it I do explain it. In simplest terms as possible. Without judgement because I want my kids to be accepting of others` ways.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 11:42 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I breastfed, but did NOT want to do it in public at all and was very offended when my MIL thought that was the time to bring her friends in to see the baby or to take pictures. I think it's a modesty thing, not a BF or FF thing. In any case, I don't want to see your tatas out in public, not matter what you're doing with them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:44 AM on May. 18, 2011