Your best curbside freebie? anyone else find goodies that others 'throw out'

i am in neighborhood where people put things out,
knowing that they will be picked up by others,

have found plastic outside toys
table and chairs (step 2)
little tykes coupe car
wooden table and chairs for inside
a wooden play kitchen (must have been hundreds new!)

tell me that i am not the only trash to treasure mom

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 11:34 AM on May. 18, 2011 in Just for Fun

• At our old apartment building, people started putting out their un-needed items next to the dumpster, never in the dumpster. I donated a fully working microwave (I didn't need it at the new house), a desk chair, and a table. I also took a desk chair that someone else left as well as a coffee table. LOL! Now whenever I have something to dispose of, I set it out at the curb.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• i came across a box full of music records...i sold them to a music store for $127. saaaaaaaaaaweet
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 11:41 AM on May. 18, 2011

• My latest great find was a dresser without the drawers. It's really pretty with carved legs and all. Instead of just supports it had full shelves to hold the drawers and it's perfect for storing board games.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:36 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Love turning other people's trash into my treasures! My DD's changing table came from the curb. My DH was coming home from work one night and this girl had all sorts of furniture out at the curb so he stopped. She was moving into a smaller place and couldn't take it with her. She had a dresser that was perfect for a changing table so DH threw it in the truck. Usually I am the one who always says "Stop, pullover, I see something" so I was pretty proud of him. And the fact that we got a free changing table made me feel better about the insane amount of money we spend on our crib. I have also gotten some random little things for outside and stuff like that but the changing table was by far the best find.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I found a beautiful wooden bench with wrought iron arms...I made my husband stop the truck in the middle of the street so we could grab it lol...took it home, sanded it down and painted it, now it's in our backyard...I love that bench =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:37 AM on May. 18, 2011

• we were garage saling in a neighborhood, there was a swingset out by the curb for free, i would of never taken it but SIL did and the kids had a good time on it (its junk now and they outgrown it). i suppose nobody takes those big things when garage saling because they are looking for smaller items but she made it happen.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:46 AM on May. 18, 2011

• An old green velvet chair. At the time, I was enrolled in a sculpture class and had an assignment to turn a found object into a piece of art. I built a section of "road" out of a 4'x8' piece of plywood painted with that fake "granite" spray paint, crushed the chair creatively with a sledgehammer, pulled out a lot of stuffing into long ropy sections, positioned the chair on the "road" and poured a gallon of fake blood all over the chair, saturating the ropy sections and arranging them on the "road" and over the chair. The piece, titled "Roadkill Chair" ended up winning an award from the university, and I got an A.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:59 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Trash to treasure...............you are so not alone............we have found everything from car ramps to entertainment centers.......
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:48 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I found a 9 drawer dresser with mirror that I now use. Its solid mahogany wood and its got spindle legs and door knocker handles. something similar would run me $1000's
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 12:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• our dining room set! my moms neighbor had it in her driveway and i snagged it quick!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 1:28 PM on May. 18, 2011