ADHD and spinner rings?

Have any of you used spinner rings (or other "fidget" devices) for your ADHD child? Any success? My dd "fidgets" a lot, and I was wondering if this would help...

CeeCee333

Asked by CeeCee333 at 11:37 AM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• It definitely sounds feasible. My adhd nephew (9) carries an empty mechanical pencil to click. With no lead, it makes no noise. He also takes 3mg of Melatonin before bed. Until last year when sil started the Melatonin, nephew wasn't allowed in regular class due to disruption.

Has your child been diagnosed? You may want to try a sleep study. Studies suggest better sleep reduces adhd symptoms. They relate the child to constant "fighting to stay awake" actions.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:50 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes, my dd is on Concerta 54mg... She has had a sleep study, but everything was normal... they thought the same thing about sleeping, but she sleeps fine. I hadn't thought of a mechanical pencil without lead... I'll have to try that. My dd (10) STAYS in trouble because of disrupting the class... Thanks! :)
    CeeCee333

Comment by CeeCee333 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I used finger puzzles... the metal ones that you have to undo... he would never get them undone, but it gave his hands something to do while he was supposed to be concentrating... not allowed in school though... nothing ever is. I was told a tennis ball on one leg of his chair might help so that he could rock during class... no go
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:03 PM on May. 18, 2011