Brushing teeth

I need some ideas on how to get my son and me to remember to brush teeth at night Before bed. he often doesn't want to. He has cavaties and we brush our teeth. But i brush mine after he is bed. I need some ideas on what you momma's do to get your 3 year old to brush his teeth.

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 12:02 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Brushing teeth should be part of anyone's bedtime ritual, including toddlers. All my kids brushed theirs after their evening bath. My 8 yr old granddaughter has done the same since she was 2 yrs old. You should be a part of his getting ready for bed. Take him in the bathroom, put toothpaste on his toothbrush and have him brush his teeth. If it helps, brush yours while he is brushing his. Even if it means youneed to do it again before you go to bed. Good oral hygiene habits are important and begin young.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My 4yr old son use to hate brushing, but we played a lil game, let him brush, then you say "mama's turn" and so forth. now my son loves brushing, make it fun for him. good luck..
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 12:12 PM on May. 18, 2011

• A visual reminder could help, but what will make the most impact is for your family to commit to making brushing a part of getting ready for bed. To kick it off, you could make a poster, with your son's help. Have a place to put a check or a sticker or something you actually DO that indicates each bedtime element is done. Maybe make the poster as a big felt jigsaw puzzle, and each piece is something you ALWAYS do before going to bed. As each thing is done (e.g., wash up/bathe, brush teeth, put away toys, say prayers, bedtime story) the associated puzzle piece is added. Each night, your son will have the satisfaction of putting each piece on the board and seeing his bedtime poster come together.

BTW: At that age, they often need help with brushing. My DH and I brushed our kids teeth for them (before they did - to 'get them started' we told them, but actually so that all spots were done). GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My 4yo DS just went to the dentist yesterday and they found one cavity. And we brush and floss. I brush first while singing the ABC"S and counting to 20, then I give him the tooth brush and let him brush. I buy the little plackers, and I floss, then hold up a hand held mirror so he can do it himself. It's just part of the bed time routine. He goes to the bathroom to pee before bed, so while he is in there we brush his teeth. I think that letting him get involved is what makes him really like it so much. Plus we let him pick out his own tooth brush so he thinks its extra cool. He has 3 to choose from. A spongebob one, a dino one he got from the dentist a while back, and an electric spongebob, and he likes to switch up his tooth brush every night. Plus a toothbrush at his preschool that he uses after lunch. I think if maybe you brush at the same time as him he will see you doing it so know it's something that has to be done.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• it needs to become part of your child's bedtime routine. We bruch my daughters at 6:30, then she spends a half hour with just Daddy, so mommy can have some free time! Then at 7pm we read our story or two & lights out by 7:15 so she's hopefully asleep by 7:30-7:45. Actual sleep will vary!! But brushing can be difficult. Mine is almost 4 & she insits on doing it herself FIRST. But my routine is I do it first then she finishes. To get her to cooperate initially, I would buy her a small present at the end of the week when she cooperated every night to brush. I stopped doing that now. Try having him pick out 2-3 cool toothbrushes so he can choose each night which one he wants to use. good luck.
    deniselvt

Answer by deniselvt at 2:46 PM on May. 21, 2011