Does your regular garbage truck pick up furniture?

I couldn't believe it when I called the city to find out our ordinance about throwing out a couch (don't worry, the dog chewed it from inside her cage, not getting rid of anything I can donate) and she said the regular truck would pick it up. How are they going to get that huge couch in to the regular truck? I always thought the city had designated days that they would come around and pick up big stuff.

marihand

Asked by marihand at 12:03 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I do not believe so. I think if you call your waste management, you can ask when they pick up things like that. I want to say there is a scheduled day for them to pick up furniture every few months or so.. but like I said, give them a call and ask.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• yep. the only things they won't take are building materials, chemicals and car batteries...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No, for that in Dade county we have to call for special pick up from the city, we get two calls a year for free.

Answer by older at 12:05 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Our doesn't pick up anything besides regular garbage. If we ever get rid of anything like that we have to take it to our nearest dump.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:05 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Nope. The city has specific trashcans that you rent and if it isn't in that can, it doesn't get picked up. It is all picked up with a mechanical arm, so the guys don't even get out of the truck.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yep ours does takes everything we put out lol
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 12:08 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Sometimes ours will pick up bigger items, sometimes not. If you put it on the street around here, even if the garbage people don't pick it up, someone will! It doesn't matter what kind of shape it is in! As they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure!
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 12:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No. Nothing box a few boxes (if they are nice) and trash bags. Anything bigger and you have to call them for a scheduled date (which they charge for), or wait for the town's clean up fix up week (which is in July). We also have a city dump, but there is a charge for that too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:21 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We don't even have garbage trucks where I live. I have to take off the garbage to one place and to take off furniture or anything like that I have to drive across the county to the main dump.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 12:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I have never asked, but I don't think so.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2011