My 5 month old German Shepherd has been throwing up.

I'm thinking it's the rawhide she chewed on and finally swallowed last night? I asked before I bought them if they were all natural and didn't have all those chemicals in them and they said they were fine. Does anyone know of any rawhide that you can buy for the dog to chew on and possible consume that's good for them? She hasn't touched her regular food all day and she usually inhales her breakfast.

marihand

Asked by marihand at 12:09 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pets

• take her to the vet it could be stuck somewhere
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I used to give my dogs pig ears, they loved them and had less digestive issues than the rawhides...
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Rawhide is actually bad for dogs. If they swallow them it can cause all sorts of GI problems,they can get stuck in the dog’s mouth and can cause constipation. If she swallowed it and it is to big to pass it could be stuck. I would get her to the vet asap.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:21 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Bully Sticks are actually better for dogs. A good diet for her now would either be cooked hamburger (drained) and rice...OR chicken and rice. I know when my pups are sick I usually boil a couple of chicken breasts then shred them and add rice. Also with her being so young, it would be prudent to get her to the vet, just to make sure she doesn't have anything else going on
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• NO rawhide is good for dogs. All rawhide, with or without chemicals, expands when wet which can cause blockages, especially since they don't digest it well. I recommend cow knuckles. They last longer, they're good for their teeth, they are digestible, they're not as fattening as pig's ears and they won't stink up your house like the cow hooves do (and trust me, it takes over your whole house). We get the ones with the smoked bits of meat still attached which they love. If he's throwing up and not eating I would get him to a vet ASAP. It sounds like a blockage which can be fatal.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• That's why I don't give my dogs rawhide. Hope she's better~~keep us updated. :)
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 4:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Definately take your dog to the vet, especially if he is not eating or drinking. Talk to your vet or the clerk at your local pet supply store about safe chew products. Only give "digestable" products like bully sticks, hooves, pig skin/ears. There are a variety of products and many now label the package as "digestable". Good luck, hope your dog is better soon.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:32 PM on May. 18, 2011