OMG I am on hold with Poison control...

My clever little 3 year old DD got the bottle of benedryl off of the TOP shelf in the kitchen and mixed it in her milk then drank part of it. The bottle was UP with a CHILD PROOF cap! I was gone for like 3 min!! Good Lord have Mercy. So how bad of a parent am I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You are not a bad parent, she will probably fall asleep, hope everything will be ok, things like this happen.

Answer by older at 12:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No your not a bad parent; you kid is just very clever. keep holding
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• how's she get to the top shelf...? and how'd she do all that in only 3mins?

things happen. maybe you can try to make her puke
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 12:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Kids are wily and will cause mischief no matter how careful we think we are. Just wait until the poison control person tells you what to do before you die of fright.

Let us know what they say. Big hugs Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I can't figure out how she 1) knew it was there 2) got the cap off 3) thought this would be a tasty idea...

They said it was not a toxic dose and to keep her hydrated and let her sleep it off.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• it happens kids are sneaky like that as soon as I turn my back my DDs in something she shouldn't be, not a bad mom at all. A very very good one that you were smart enough to call poison control. If it makes you feel any better my DD tried to eat and air wic lol Good luck!!
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 12:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Awww, hugs, mama. You did everything you could! I'm sure she'll be okay, but you've done the right thing calling Poison Control. Be aware of your little Houdini, and get a locked cabinet for meds! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• glad she will be okay!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My 2 year old recently locked himself in the bathroom, pulled out his step stool, climbed up onto the counter, opened the medicine cabinet, grabbed his cold medicine off the top shelf, and opened the child proof cap all in a matter of maybe 2 minutes. I thought he was in the room with his dad but nope. Luckily, it was homeopathic and I don't believe he drank any of it and poision control said even if he did there is such scant amount of anything in homeopathic stuff that he would have been fine. Anyways, my point is it happens. I just now know to make sure I know where he is and what he's doing at ALL times!
    Anonymous

• Things like this happen! Is it scary? YES! Are you a bad mom? NO! I remember when I was that age, I climbed up on the counter and ate a whole bottle of Flinstone's Vitamins because they tasted good. You are NOT a bad mom, use this experience to learn from. She is obviously a very bright little girl and you may need to have extra precautions in place from now on, like a medicine cabinet with childproofing that is high up and nothing for her to stand on to get to it. Good luck, I hope everything ends up okay.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:16 PM on May. 18, 2011