My son is acting out in school

I have a five year old who is in pre-k. I know that the school year is coming to an end and that kids are excited for summer. I never have to ask how he did in school when I pick him up because they always tell me how good he is and that he is one of the best kids they have. However, yesterday and today ( I just received a phone call from his teacher) he was been acting out. Yesterday wouldn't keep his hands to himself and today acted out during their field trip to the "big school" where he will be going next year. His teacher explained to me that they have been out of their normal structure starting last week. Talking a lot about kindergarten and all the new things they will get to do. I haven't talked much about it with him because when I do he seems fine about going. I feel really bad about his behavior, part of me feels like I have failed him as a parent and the other is so very frustrated. We have had no new changes at home so I don't know what to do. If there is anyone out there that can help me I would appreciate it. I talked to him last night about what was going on at school and he said he didn't know why he acted that way. I don't know what to do. I am so shocked by his behavior when all year he has been "great" as they say, he participates, respectful, plays well, etc...

mommyoftwo77

Asked by mommyoftwo77 at 12:13 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't pay any attention to the teacher... seriously. She just told you the schedule has been askew this week. Summer is coming, New school to think about for DS and she has got you concerned that he's had a couple of bad days? Relax..... it really isn't a big deal... I bet two weeks into next school year, he'll be a model student again. Give the kid a break... and yourself. Teachers see your children nine mos. out of the year for six hours, you have parented him his whole life. This is a hiccup and a good cause for one.... you'll know when there is a real problem and this is not it.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:22 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't freak out about 2 days of "bad" behavior - and on a field trip day, too!! Since he is normally such a good kid, it might just work itself out. But this might be a sign that your son could use some help figuring out what is bothering him. A 5 year old can't say "I'm scared that the pressures of kindergarden may be too much for me to handle but I don't want to say because I know everyone expects that I can handle it" or "I'm excited about kindergarden, but I'm really going to miss my teacher and this classroom, so I'm feeling conflicted and don't know how to express myself."

I'd just give him a chance to talk. Let him know that his feelings are okay, even if his behavior is not. This might take time for him to figure out, but knowing you are on his side should help him deal with this.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:50 PM on May. 18, 2011