What approach do you take with potty training your kids?

I'm doing a child led approach with my 2 year 3 month old daughter. And its paying off...for the past 3 days shes been ASKING to potty train and requests her panties instead of a diaper and when shes tired of the training, she asks for a diaper. Shes been peeing in the potty! YAY!
I can see that she is gaining a bit more muscle control over her bladder because earlier she said she had to pee...took off all her clothes and diaper (she seems to think she has to pee naked,lol) and waited till she was on the potty before she peed. Where as before she was unable to have that control.

I've decided to take this route after reading a book on it.
HOWEVER...I get MANY comments from friends/family about my not strictly enforcing a rigid potty training...a couple have even SCOLDED my daughter when I went to change her soiled diaper at thier house! One said to her"YOUR A BIG GIRL NOW YOU SHOULDNT BE DOING THAT IN YOUR PANTS"(shes just a few months over TWO!!)
I didnt say anything, just escorted her to the bathroom and cleaned her up and assured her it was okay.Shes a very sensitive girl and I fear that if she feels like she's failed, she may just give up and potty training will take even longer.
I've stopped trying to explain my approach because they just don't listen to what i'm saying.Its like they think thier way is the only right way.
Theres more than ONE way to do things..theres certainly more than ONE way to Potty train! whatver works for you,your child and your life style..as long as they arent 18years old still wearing a diaper..thats good!! LOL (okay..maybe a lot younger than 18,but you get what I mean)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:15 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just took the diapers away. I told them youre a big kid now and wear underwear. If you pee in them itll be wet and uncomfortable. They all potty trained quickly.

Answer by gemgem at 12:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• very laid back with my 2nd. When she started showing interest about 20 months we got a potty and some books but never took her out of diapers. We allowed her to sit on it when she wanted to we praised her for going on the potty. When she got to where she was about 90% or so on her own we started encouraging her to use it more. One day I allowed us to run out of diapers and told her they were all gone and she was going to have to wear big girl panties and I asked her to please use her potty all day. First thing she did was check where we keep the diapers to see if I was for real. Then she made a sad face and put the panties on. She has been daytime trained ever since. She was just under 3 when we were totally done. Basically she self trained but we guided her. WE had no intentions of 'pushing' until she was over 3 but it never got to that point
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• with my first we had done the take him every 30 min, charts, treats, rewards... the whole nine yards and ended up taking just as long but it was a pain in the neck and a power struggle the whole time. I didn't want to do that again. It was frustrating for all of us.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I pushed at first and got her trained b/c she was interested. We moved and she regressed and we are back on track for the last 3 mos. She has just started pooping in the potty and wants to only wear panties during the day. We still use diapers at nap and bedtime. She sleeps about 3-4 hours during her nap and more than 12 at night. This round has been less stressful than the last, but I would like to be completely day time trained by her 3rd birthday in about 6 weeks. We are well on our way.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I am having such a hard time my boy just doesn't want to!!
    amanda81919

Answer by amanda81919 at 12:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I waited for my children to lead. Both my girls told me when they wanted to use the big-girl potty, and that was the end of it...just one time. No problems. The first one was even night-trained just like that. My other daughter took some time to get fully night-trained.

I am waiting for my son to be interested too, no pressure. But he is definitely taking longer than my girls, who were both out of diapers before they were 2, but they were really close to 2.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:22 PM on May. 18, 2011