Does anyone know alot about taking online classes?

i recently just got engaged and my fiance just got this great job but he would have to work all around the world to make good money. but i want a degree because i told myself that i would not end up like my mom, divorced, and no job. but if im going to be traveling with him while he works for 6 months at a time wherever we go then i want to be working on getting my degree while he is at work. what are your thoughts about online classes? i heard they are just as good as real college, just got to be motivated enough to do it.

Keriii24

Asked by Keriii24 at 12:17 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Overpriced. I have student loans threw the roof because of it. I would look around at your state colleges and see if they offer online. Its alot cheaper that way.

Answer by gemgem at 12:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If that's the only way you can do it, then I say go for it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:20 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i qualify for financial aid since im not married yet and wont be for awhile. and i read that they do take financial aid so i dont think money is a problem.
    Keriii24

Comment by Keriii24 (original poster) at 12:22 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The problem is the cost. I went through University of Phoenix and was told there was no problem with my financial aid. I could go and get my degree and between pell grants and student loans graduate and be fine. I ended up not being able to graduate because the school had charged the maximum they could on my loans and there was a cap on how much you can borrow. I found out if I had gone to a school in state or even a community college my pell grant would have covered it alone, and that doesnt have to be repaid. State colleges might need some studen loan money but it is considerably less then a college like UOP or Kalpan etc.

Answer by gemgem at 12:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I've taken them. I enjoyed them. My husbands military so I'll be doing it again soon because we transferred to a new post with crap for schools. Make sure you get all the info and financial aid info. Some do scholarships (like for military) or other qualifications. Also, you still get federal funding if you qualify. research places before deciding. good luck and if you find anything good let me know! =)
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 12:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I loved taking online classes. You do pay a lot for the convenience I would look on line for grants and see if I qualified for anything. Their is grants for everything. One of the popular schools that my friends went too is Phoenix online. I went to AIU.

grownsexy

Answer by grownsexy at 1:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Excellent in your situation. I would be sure to go with a local community college so your credits will transfer to an accredited university. Not sure how you will do that with traveling though.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 PM on May. 18, 2011