how to handle teenagers deciding to live with dad

TownMom2

Asked by TownMom2 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Speaking from experience let him/her go, they will be back.

Anonymous

• Its got to be a heart breaking experience, but if the environment is safe, you probably have to just let them go. GL to you .
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• my parents divorced when I was 3 I lived in another state with my mom and siblings. When I was 15 I was not getting along with my mom or her rules. I wanted to live with my dad, my mom at first refused to send me saying my dad is a bachelor and can not handle me. My mom and I did not get along at all. Well she sent me to live with my dad. She hoped that I would want to return home. I was in pure heaven my grandparents, cousins all lived close by, I got Lot's of quality time. I did miss my mom and called her often, I even visited her once for a week but never wanted to move back with her. By my mom allowing me to live with my dad I got that closeness back with my father. My mom still lives a state away, I visit her talk with her but their is a wall between us she never reached out to me.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• When I got married we had to go to marriage classes before hand. My dh hah a 6 yr old son at the time. The priest said 99.9 percent of boys want to live with their dads around the age of 15.
    His son never did live with us but faught with his mom a lot around that age. I think its pretty normal, but has to be heartbreaking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Let them go...either they'll come back willingly or they'll be sent back.
    kkgrls

Answer by kkgrls at 12:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I know it can break your heart. But unless there is a very good reason to prevent it, let them make that choice. You will be showing him that you trust hime to make his decisions.
    DanieT

Answer by DanieT at 1:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2008