How do I keep my 10 week old kitten from clawing my furniture??!!!

I have tried everything from water bottles (spraying her little feet), making her stay in the floor (which didnt work either), to getting after her with a rolled up newspaper!! She does NOT stop clawing my furniture... I don't really want to have her declawed, so what else can I do?

emma1776

Asked by emma1776 at 12:25 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pets

• they have those claw tips which look like fake nails.. I never tried them but its worth a shot
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Does she have a scratching post???? That can usually help greatly, put some cat nip on it. Also there are products you can put on your furniture to help break that habbit. She's just a kitten and they are NO different than toddlers lol, have to be consistant
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• get her a scratching post... then rub cat-nip on it... she'll be attracted to that... our vet suggested this and it's worked great for us!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:31 PM on May. 18, 2011

• she does have a scratch post, but I haven't thought about the catnip, because she's so hyper already its insane.. She also has a personal problem with bare toes. .... She bites.. and hard.... have tried to stop her from that too and it's to no avail. But will the catnip make her worse as far as bouncing off my walls? My boyfriend is freaking because she's tearing up his custom made recliner... :\ We love little Jasmine, but she's hard to handle already!
    emma1776

Comment by emma1776 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• get a spray bottle with water.. each time she does something you don't want.. spray water.. that should deter her.
    momkelly2

Answer by momkelly2 at 12:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• the catnip might mellow her out. Rub it on so the scent and oils get on the post... but don't leave piles of it so she can eat it. She is exhibiting normal kitten behavior... she will settle down in a few months ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Those emery cat boards worked for my grandmother. Not only are they more attracted to that because it's infused with catnip and has a toy, it lets kitty file her own nails so she may not even be able to hurt the furniture if she tries to scratch it. The claw caps are also a good idea. You put a tiny drop of glue in the cap, push the claw out gently and press the cap on firmly but not hard and hold it for a bit so it can set. They come off naturally in about a month and they come in fun colors. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• awesome! Thanks for the tips girls! :)
    emma1776

Comment by emma1776 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I once read that cats don't respond to catnip until they are around 6 months old. What I did was every time I saw my cat start to scratch something I would take him to his scratching post/box and put him on it an kind of move his paws. Then I would sort of scratch it with my nails. He got the idea pretty quickly but he was older. A 10 week old kitten is still a baby with a very short attention span. Just be consistent in taking her to her scratching thing every time you see her start to scratch something. She will calm down but at 10 weeks they are pure energy.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 12:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Someone told me to spray the furniture with Pine-Sol mixed with water. Neither did "Scratch Not." I don't know if they work for other cats.They didn't for my kitten, but then again, the only thing that seems to work is spraying the water @ her. It seems to only work until she dries off though and I can't stand guard all of the time. She is horrible!! Lashes @ people, jumps up & knocks things over, keeps climbing my drapes & anything else she feels like! It is a constant battle, which is demanding way too much of me standing alert @ all times..urgh! She has lots of toys & 2 types of cat scratchers!!!
    ThankfullyProud

Answer by ThankfullyProud at 11:21 AM on May. 21, 2011