Do you Foster Animals?

I was thinking about doing this but was just wondering what was the experience others have had with it?
Do they come out and check your house and you have certain things already in place?
Do you end up becoming too attached to an animal to let it go and end up adopting it yourself? lol (im afraid of turning into a hoarder,LOL)
Do you like it?
What do you NOT like about it?
About how long do the animals end up staying in your home before being adopted out?
Have you ever had to deny an animal needing a foster home because it was too aggressive with the children?
Does it bring you and your family joy or sorrow??

I'm sure I have tons more questions, so anything else you'd like to add please feel free!!! Thankyou!!!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:35 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pets

• My daughter fosters pets for a pet rescue clinic - we pick up whatever pet needs caring for on Sunday and bring the pet (or pets) back to their adoption clinic on Friday or Saturday. My children love it - and my daughter is earning community service credit.
    Its a great experience and gives you a chance to take care of different types of animals.
    We've fostered a puppy (now part of our family), 2 guinea pigs and a bunny. We almost kept the bunny but we forced ourselves to bring him back :)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 10:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

• You're quite welcome! I wish you luck! Be extra careful with the feral cat because if you get scratched or bitten, there is a chance you could get blood poisoning and that is NOT fun. Nor is the treatment, which has to be done ASAP or you can lose a limb.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I worked for a vet for 8 years. Had good and bad experiences with fosters. It depends on where you get the foster pet from if someone will check out your home, but most likely yes. I did wind up adopting a lot of my fosters because they were special needs and no one else wanted to take them on. I do like it, I like the joy of finding the perfect family, but it is sad to let the animal go that I've cared for, loved etc. Depends on the animal and its needs as to how long you would have it. Yes I have had animals that were too aggressive and more often than not got euthanized. Brings joy and sorrow. Ask any other questions you like!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 12:40 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If you foster for an organization, usually they hold adoption clinics at pet stores and you bring the animal there and try to get shoppers to adopt them. If you're fostering for your vet, they can find someone or they may have you help them do that. People can come to your home if you like, to see the animal in a more relaxed environment. I actually helped clients deal with euthanizing their pets 99% of the time when I was at the vets. It was hard when I first started, but it became easier. It wasn't that I didn't care or didn't feel anything about euthanasia, it was that I learned to accept that sometimes it is the best thing for the animal, which is always the right thing to do. Its a very peaceful, painless procedure and you do not have to be present if you're not comfortable.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 12:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I have been volunteering and fostering for years. I have fostered both cats and dogs, but dogs are my passion. I find it very rewarding! One of the things about fostering is that it makes the animal so much more adoptable because they are living in a home enviroment and receive training, such as house training or crate training. The last dog I fostered was a hard case. He was completely obnoxious and had no training, no one wanted him. I took him into my home and worked with him for almost 6 months. It took a long time to find the right home for him, but in that time he learned a lot of manners and house training. His new family claims he is the best behaved dog they have ever met. Fostering saves 2 lives, it saves the life of the pet you bring into your home and it creates more room at the shelter for another pet in need. Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:22 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I found fostering to be very rewarding. I loved to see my fosters go to good forever homes. In the beginning it was hard to see them go but I realized over time that I could help many more animals by preparing them for adoption than i ever could by adopting them myself. Sometimes it's hard and it's not for everyone. I have had to have fosters euthanized and yes, that is so hard. I just had to remember that it WAS what was best for the animal. I had to stop after I got married because my husband couldn't let any of them go!!! lol He has such a soft heart and it was too hard for him. Now we have 5 doggies, all fosters that we adopted! It is so rewarding and a whole lot of fun! Good Luck
    jspencer1014

Answer by jspencer1014 at 10:38 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I do not currently foster but I am looking into it the kill rate is awful here in GA
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 1:59 AM on May. 21, 2011

• aww, thankyou Kari! I think thats a wonerful thing youre doing! :)
    Do you have to physically go out and try to find homes for these anmals or is there like a middle man person that usually handles that and send people to your home or vice versa?
    And how do you deal with the euthanizing? I think that most of all would break my heart! I'd have to grow a thicker skin for that! :(
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 12:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Right...i agree..sometimes euthanizing is whats best. I think it takes a big heart to fill that order!
    Thankyou Kari..You've been very helpful!
    I think I'm going to do it.I already have 3 stray cats(that are mamas) here...I have appointments set up with the local animal protective league to take them in to be fixed and vaccinated and one litter I will surrender...the others I was going to offer to foster them till a home is found for them.I feel bad for them and they are such sweet cats..Im suprised they were even strays! Well..one of them I believe is ferral..I can't even catch her...I have to get a trap to have her caught :( The people at the APL said for me to pick up a trap and once shes caught they will evaluate her to see if she would be adoptable or would have to be euthanized.I feel bad but I have to do it because shes just going to keep making more kittens...and thats not good for them..or us!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 12:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• But once I'm through this hurdle..I think I'd like to continue to open up our home toother animals..I think it would save lives...thiers simply just not enough room in these shelters to take them all in!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 12:57 PM on May. 18, 2011