What are your thoughts on this article... (prevention of killing creativity in kids)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/todd-kashdan/3-ideas-to-prevent-school_b_860874.html?ref=fb&src=sp

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 12:36 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. And, yes. Our school system in the US leaves alot to be desired. Unfortunately, though, I think that the creativity is mainly being squelched in the family. Today's electronic-savvy lifestyle leads more and more kids to stare at a computer or TV screen for most waking hours of the day. Mom and Dad are too busy working, and kids are in daycare with virtually no one-to-one time to help nurture the creative mind. In addition, a daycare child is usually not enrolled in extracurriculars. There is no time.

Mom and Dad feel entitled to "me-time" and often go on mom's night out, and pool with the guys. They schedule dates and outings and leave kiddos with sitters . .. further squelching important one-to-one time.

Some parents cannot remember the last time they sat, one-to-one with their child and drew, painted, or entertained imaginative ideas.

:(
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with him. He's basically saying that we need to give them time to have a creative outlet if we want them to learn the core courses or anything else. That makes sense.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree. What's interesting is that you can see the effects if extreme institutionalization in the asian education system. In grad school and in the lab (I'm a biomedical researcher), I've known many college graduates from China, India, Korea, etc. It's weird... schools in these countries seem to be doing a very good job of raising the average, but squealching the individual and the exceptional. You know how? Memorize. Swallow what we tell you to swallow and regurgitate on command without THINKING ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS. Sound familiar?

Now pair that with strong pressure from Asian families to get good grades (not necessarily BE smart) and you have a hard working, knowledgable person who can't think creatively or critically. A skilled middle worker, not a leader. Valuable, but not ideal.

It's scary when I see similar changes happening in American schools WITHOUT changes occuring in American homes.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 4:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• BTW, I am Indian. Thinking independenly, following your passion, and developing a strong work ethic are all things we are going to try to teach our kids... things my parent's only partially encouraged in me.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 4:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• His observations & generalizations sounded pretty humane & realistic, to me. I think in particular his suggestions for perspective & attitude (or different ways of "framing" issues & concepts) could help people who do a lot of working with/relating to other people, such as parents & teachers. The shift in attitude, and assumptions, could help a lot by bringing greater understanding & sympathy. (Just like assuming positive intent in others when looking at behavior does.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:59 AM on May. 19, 2011