BF troubles...more like picky baby

My son is 6 days old and my milk came in 3 days ago, Last night I fed him 15 minutes on each boob and burped him, 5 minutes later he was crying for more so I put him back on and he fed for 10 more minutes. I know hes eating cause you can hear him gulp and I keep leaking once he lets go, but then 10 mintues after that he wanted more so I had to trick him into eating formula and he drank an ounce and then started crying cause he wanted my boob. What do I do? My poor nipples are sore and he doesnt want formula he will drink it for a minute then cries. HELP!!

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This sounds familiar. Breastfeeding was so draining for me in the beginning I almost cried! The first thing that I would do is to make sure he's actually getting milk but it sounds like you're doing a great job on that. A lot of times, babies that age just want to suck. They are not actually hungry. Try a pacifier if you feel comfortable with that. He may just need to be comforted by you and you can get much closer in terms of bonding than that. Or, he may have an upset belly. Sometimes, as long as a little one is actively swallowing, their belly doesn't give them problems (if he has reflux or something similar). You may just have to nurse on demand when he wants it. Thats what I had to do with my little guy. It does get better. I promise. He stopped nursing suddenly at about 10 1/2 months and trust me, I miss it far more than I thought I would. Good luck; and believe it or not, the pain goes away and it becomes second nature.
    Anonymous

• It seemed like my son was attached nearly 24/7. He may be having a growth spurt or just a pig. Let him nurse on demand, I would recommend a good sling and just wear him around as you do your daily routine.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Newborn babies will eat A LOT for the first month or two. My first suggestion is to not give him formula. After awhile, his eating skills will improve, and he will probably become more efficient. Breastfeeding is a big sacrifice and takes up a lot of time. Breastmilk is more easily digested, therefore breast babies eat more often than formula fed babies. The nipple soreness will get better with some time as well. If you're not up to be spending half of your day (literally) breastfeeding, I suppose you can just give him formula.
    Anonymous

• Above Poster -----> The first person had a good recommendation, about the pacifier. My dd nursed a lot, and when I finally gave in and gave her a binkie after about 2 weeks, she seemed to nurse less, because I think she just wanted to suck. If you do get one, get a soothie, or another one that is "most like mother"...gerber makes one like that.
    Anonymous

• you just keep on keeping on. it hurts for a few weeks, but it's worth it. formula is nasty & harmful. it's no wonder he doesn't want it. supplementing (especially this early) will only hurt the nursing relationship. i felt like my baby was always latch & cried through the pain alot. but it passes. i shredded iced carrots & left them in my nursing bra for 20min. there's also nipple cream at either target or babiesrus. there are these things called soothies. & if you start to bleed or crack, just manually express your own milk & let it air dry on your nipples. the beginning is the hardest part. but you can do it. women have been doing it since the beginning of time. i'm here if you need any help or just support =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It sounds like he wants to pacify and not eat.. probably why he crys once your milk lets down, it ticks him off because he isn't hungry.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2008