Have you ever accidently locked your baby in the car?

My nine month old has been sick latley and i took her for a drive the other night to see if you would fall asleep. It was about 1 in the morning and when i got back home i guess i hit the lock button, because i locked her in the car. I had to go in and get dh because my spare key was in my purse in the car. Anyways husband got the door open within just a few minutes but i was so upset and felt horrible. Has anyone else ever done something so stupid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never locked her in the car but when she was a little little baby I accidentally locked her in our bedroom...I had to break the door down to get back in there because..of course...I locked the key to the bedroom in there too and DH is the only one with another key and of course he was at work...I felt terrible...I was SO scared!
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• yes! .. a couple years ago .. my daughter was like 2. we were getting gas, my husband and nephew went into the store, i was pumping gas, all 3 of my kids were in the car 3,2 and newborn.. the keys were in the car, my daughter hit the lock button.. there were already 4 cops at the gas station ..they came over to try to get them unlock the car..they were scared and couldn't do it, the cops didnt have the tools, they had to call the sheriff and like an hour finally they unlocked it.. it wasnt hot so the kids were just fine. but needless to say that was the last time we left keys in the car :)
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 12:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i had the sledge hammer i was fixing to break the window on the car if dh couldn't get it open. Luckily he did though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• When my oldest child was baby, cell phones were not as common. I totally locked her in the car. I was trying to figure out how to go get help and not leave her there alone. Lucky for me this sweet RICH lady drove up and had a cell phone. We called for help and got the door unlocked. I was crying the entire time and this lady hugged me and comforted me. My daughter slept through the entire thing.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• no I haven't. I was always afraid I might accidently so I always always always when I unlock the door I open the front door to throw my purse in the front seat I hold the door open and open the back door to put the kids in. Then when I get out I always again keep my door open until I get the girls out of the car and then I shut my door. I don't know why just one of my worst fears to lock kids in car. My oldest is 6 and probably could unlock the door now, but I still do that I am afraid that happening and it being like 80 or 90 outside.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes, I have well my son did when he was 3. We had just gone swimming and he got out and came through the front seat, I don't know why and has he was getting out he pressed the lock button and before I thought about what I was doing I shut the door. I had no spare key and I was not breaking the window. I called the police department and they sent out a fire truck, ambulance and a police officer. When they got there I was so upset and the cop popped the door open and the paramedic took her temp she was cool (swimming) and they asked what happened, they laughed and left. The worst part about it is a few weeks before I had locked my keys in he car on base and the MPs (didn't call-just happened to be passing by) said they couldn't help unless I had locked my child in there, I jokingly told my sister next time we need to locked the baby in there...ding dong!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:08 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Oh goodness yes. Hubby and I were traveling with our at the time 2 year old and 2 month old (they are 3 and 1 now) from washington state to michigan and stopped at a rest area to change butts and use the restroom. So, hubby heads in to the bathroom and I begin changing my girls. Got my oldest taken care of and back in her carseat, walk over to the other side to change my youngest. She was all set, back in her seat and then it happened. I shut the door! Keys were still in the ignition with the air on and I was stuck outside the truck in 95 degree weather. The doors were locked! My husband came out and could believe what I had done! We walked over to my oldests side of the truck and knocked on the window and asked her to roll down the window. She used her toe, but was able to do it. Phew! Thank goodness for her, lol! I never made the mistake again. I always check to make sure the truck hasn't locked itself up again.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No but my son has locked himself in our bedroom before in our old house. My husband had to go climb in through the bathroom window.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I am so glad others have done the same corkey things as me. Sometimes i feel like such a ditz. My biggest fear is it happening when it is hot outside. I am usually veryc areful, i don' t know what happened that night. Guess i was just tired.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• YES! But actually my friend let it happen. She drove me to the repair shop to pick up my car, and when I came out to get my son, he was locked in her car LOL! I am going to post this as a question, but in my area most of the locksmiths will come and get your kid out ASAP and do it for free if you have locked them in the car. I know that Pop A Lock does this in my area. That's why the cops don't do it.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:21 PM on May. 18, 2011