What is the best kind of dog to be around kids????

Im really wanting to get my family a dog! I dont want a puppy im wanting a older dog.....im just not sure what kind i will have to get a kind of little dog but not tiny like a palmaranian or chiuaua....any ideas!? plus I have a 7 month old and a 2 year old so.....anything well tempered.....lol!

raeyliNlilysmom

Asked by raeyliNlilysmom at 12:42 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pets

• I'm going to vote for the mutts! They are the best dogs and they come in a variety of sizes and colors :)
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• not all bassets are hard to train, my male is eager to please, the female is the stubborn one :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We have 2 adult basset hounds and their 7 puppies, they have been WONDERFUL with both my children ( ages 4 and 21 months) had the older dogs since my dd was 1 and they have always been so sweet and gentle with her, even as puppies
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Any dog that is going to meet your families life style as far as size, activity and care level that is well trained and socialized. ANY breed can be a good family pet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Small dogs, if you get an older one, can be very difficult. they usually have that small dog attitude, which usually doesn't work well with small children. you would be better off getting a puppy or younger dog if you are going for a small breed so that you can train it. if you were going for a medium sized dog, english bulldogs are really mellow, we've had two while our children were growing up and they were the most laid back dog i have ever owned. now we have box hounds (basset/boxer mix) and they are fairly mellow, but again they have been raised with small children around since they were puppies. just be careful. go to your local animal shelter and ask about the dogs they have there. the employees should have a fairly good grasp on the dogs behavoir, or one that has been in foster care.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 12:55 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't suggest a small dog around toddlers. They can be nippy, and become posessive of their one person. They are also like toddlers. You have to watch them. They are more prone to getting hurt by young kids playing rough, and sometimes the noise stressess them out. If you aren't willing to do the care for a small dog, I would suggest going for a medium sized dog like a beagle or a corgie.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• An older Chiuauah or any other small breed that's already an adult would probably not be the best idea.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:12 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I have a Golden Retriever, we have had him since the kids were babies. They are great family dogs.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i was thinking about a beagle! they are sooo cute! my dd LOVES animals and she is sooo careful with animals she would be soo thrilled!!!!
    raeyliNlilysmom

Comment by raeyliNlilysmom (original poster) at 12:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i was gunna say a lab, but then you said you wanted a small dog. i think a yorkie would be the best option. they're easy to train, not temperamental, and less chance of any allergies because they actually have human-like hair :)
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 12:54 PM on May. 18, 2011