Moving home?

I have three kids. I am almost 40. My ex lost his job and I am no longer receiving child support. He now has a new job but is not paying. I will have to go to court to get it re instated. I can support the kids and I on what I make but it would be a very tight squeeze.

So my parents offered for us to move home. They have a big house. We can have the whole upstairs. They never go upstairs anymore because of their age or health issues.

My mom is having a double hip replacement this summer and I thought if we were there we could be of tremendous help.

I could save tons of money because they said I would not owe them anything. They said I would only have to buy groceries.

I might have to get rid of our family dog...Mom says no pets.

Can I do this after all these years...It would only be for 6 months to a year. This way I could establish support again and save for a down payment on a home. Urrr moving home after all these years....The kids seem kinda excited about it. Good school district. I would plan to get a home in the same area so they would not have to change schools.
Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Good Lord ... MOVE! I only wish I had an opportunity like that!!! Good luck either way mama!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Sounds like a solid plan to me, especially since you have the whole upstairs. Moving home is hard but you have a solid plan and an exit plan in place so I would go for it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It sounds goo to me. It could just be temporary, until you save up money and she gets better. You will be helping each other.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i would do it... for sure...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 12:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You sound like you have a solid plan as long as you can stick to it it sounds like a win win situation.
    grownsexy

Answer by grownsexy at 1:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think from the sounds of it, you are going to have issues once she has the surgery this summer. She is going to need lots of rest and she won't be able to do much for herself. Unless your children are older in age, it's really going to be bad for both them and your mother. I know that my answer would be a big No, I could not do that. However, only you know what you can tolerate and what you can't. There are other living options available out there, such as taking in a roommate or sharing the rent. I just don't think I could move back in with my parents, especially with three children.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Oh both my parents are a live....My dad is very healthy and will take care of her. He is retired. My kids are older too. My Aunt lives near by and she will be coming over and helping too.

My parents are wonderful people
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't see a downside from what you say. I know it is tough but shit you got help and it would be great for your kids to spend time wih their grandparents. It would bring them joy aswell. I wish I had the luck you do. God Bless with everything!!
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 1:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Do it!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i would do it. a good opportunity to save money on rent while helping out your mom. good luck!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 9:49 PM on May. 18, 2011