Need Advice!!!

I am watching a 4 year old boy full-time..I have two boys of my own, 4 years old and 19 months old. I gave the family my two weeks notice almost 2 weeks ago, and they talked me into committing to another 4 days. I told them I am starting my doula business and it's going to be very difficult while watching other people's children. This is only partially true.

The main reason I am letting him go is because he is a very difficult child! He is teaching my 4 year old things I don't want him to learn, he's loud, he CAN'T sit still for even 5 minutes to enjoy ANY activity, and he has caused a lot of stress on me since December. It's to the point I haven't even enjoyed being a stay at home mom (I quit my job in October and started watching him to bring in extra money). Well, my husband got a VERY good job and we don't need my income anymore.

The problem is, I can't do this anymore!!! Not even for the 6 days I have left! I don't even want him (the kid) to come back tomorrow! I am really wanting to just tell the parents this afternoon that something personal came up and I am unable to watch their child anymore. They don't need details right?

I know it will put them in a hard spot trying to find someone else last minute, and that makes me feel bad. But my stress levels are through the roof! They still owe me $150 and it's making me even more mad that they are always behind on payments!!

Do I stick it out the next 6 days (until the 26th) and hope I survive? Or do I tell them this afternoon? If I tell them this afternoon, do I be truthful or do they just not need the details??

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'd tell them if they cant pay you the money they owe you, especially if you can do without it, that they can take it and pay someone else that you will not be able to care for him any more...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 12:52 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i would ask for the money first tell them that you will watch their child till friday till you get payed after that they need to find some one else
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• yes, make the money the issue. "Due to the fact that payments have not been made on time, my two week notice stands"
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The problem is, they are telling me they can't afford to pay me the remaining amount until my last day of watching their son (the 26th). I agreed to this after talking to my husband because he reminded me I wouldn't have to deal with this for much longer. I'm partially afraid that if I let him go now, they won't ever pay it to me. However, I could easily take them to small claims court and win if I absolutely had/wanted to.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I will get the rest of my money, I'm just not sure HOW to tell them and when to make my last day be....
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• "yes, make the money the issue. "Due to the fact that payments have not been made on time, my two week notice stands""

I like this! Except, knowing my luck they would magically come up with the money and I would then be stuck watching their son until the 26th anyway....
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Tell them you cannot watch him. You do not have to give a reason. Give them written notice that their balance is due at the end of the month.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would tell them I can't watch him anymore , you gave them enough notice and it was up to them to find another sitter. They don't need a reason again you already told them. Don't stress yourself out anymore and enjoy the time with your own children
    tamara2065

Answer by tamara2065 at 1:24 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Girl f*ck it. Tell her that you can not watch her kid anymore because of his behavioral issues and that is it. If she paid you in advance refund her the money for those days...now if she has to pay you at the end of the week expect not to get anything cause she is going to be mad. lol Just tell her bye!!
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 1:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• oh I didn't see the money pay....tell them you have to get that money before he can come back...that same rule would apply if you were at a daycare. They want their money a week in advance matter of fact so you are doing her a favor by letting her slide. I understand her situation but shit.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 1:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would say you cannot do it because of non-payment, send them a bill today, and take further action if you need to,, I am happy your finally getting to do what you want, I know you have been struggling with the choice,, did you find someone to share doula duties with?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:51 PM on May. 18, 2011