Least expensive way to cloth diaper?

We've had really good luck with disposables with our son but I'm still concerned that our next child might inherit my allergies to aluminum and fragrances.
So would the least expensive way to cloth diaper just to go with the Gerber pre-folds and plastic pants like my parents or is it cheaper in the long run to go with the all in one diapers?
Organic and all that doesn't really matter to us and I already checked thrift stores around here and they don't have any.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:55 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you can sew, there are free patterns online.Then you can make whatever you want for alot less.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• pre folds and covers will be your cheapest bet i used to work at a cloth diper store. I went with the pocket diapers but they are more expensive and it is all BASICALLY the same thing heres a website to check out GL mommy! cottontailbaby.com

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Prefolds are cheapest, but you will save money in the long run by buying quality prefold diapers, as opposed to the readily available Gerber prefolds. I would also avoid the non-breathable vinyl pants, in favor of the newer diaper covers. You would only need 3-5 covers. And with Snappi clips, pins are a thing of the past too, and you only really need 1 or 2 Snappi clips.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• go with covers, I love ecobum covers, they are oneize fits all, and the are wonderful. Then just buy some zorb and fleece and sow inserts. You can just place the inserts in the covers and them on the baby, they stay pretty good. I have 6 covers and one pocket diaper... I cloth diaper 2 kids, and I have several insert type things, ones I have made, several microfiber towels, and several cotton prefolds.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:31 PM on May. 18, 2011