Does this sound like depression? What do I need to do to fix myself?

I think I might be suffering from depression, or bi polar? I have some days where I wake up in a great mood and can't get enough of my kids, these days I am always laughing and we play non stop. Then there are days when all I can do is cry, and when I have these days they are horrible. I scream, I am rude/hurtful and I dont even want to be around myself on those days. When I have these days DH usually takes the kids to the park or something while I take a bath and when I do that all I can think about is how much better off people would be if I just died (I used to cut and I have thought about it alot lately, the only thing that stops me is my kids) I know how I am when these moods hit and I try hard not to take it out on my kids, I can usually see when things are getting bad and I can remove myself from the situation but I dont want to live like that forever. I want to be happy, I dont want to have to hide from my kids so that I dont hurt their feelings and I dont want them to learn this behavior. Does this sound like depression to you? I was also thinking maybe bi polar but I dont know much about that...I am going to see a counselor or therapist...which do you think would be better to help me deal with this? Please dont bash or be hateful...I know that I can't keep doing this and that is why I am asking your advice..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• yes it does sound like bi-polar/depression. You can try meditation & yoga...or you can go talk to a therapist, or a psychologist if you want to take meds.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Sounds like it could be, best thing you can do is talk to your doctor and have them set up an appointment with a counselor who would be better able to determine if it is depression, bipolar, or post partum, and how severe it may be as well as the best treatment options for you based on the rest of your medical history. (So in this case a therapist and from there they will determine the next course of action). You're already taking the right steps by admitting there is something wrong with the way you are feeling and seeking help for it. Best wishes to you.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• To me, yes, it does sound like depression. I can't say bi-polar, because I am not familiar with that.  Pyschology Today has a self test for depression, you can take that here.  Otherwise, I would talk to your Dr. ASAP.  These symtpoms are really nothing to let go.  Take care of yourself.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• counselors & therapist are very similar. Not all counselors have a degree though...therapists always do. Talking about how you feel with someone really helps, but not always. If a therapist can't help you, they might suggest a psychologist who could tell better than anyone whether or not you're depressed. Most psychologists do therapy sessions as well as diagnose you & prescribe medicine.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• bi-polar & manic depression are the same thing.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i get like that sometimes. and i have a similar history. talk to a therapist!! make sure you go to a therapist who isn't going to want to just shove pills down your throat. find one who actually wants to give you the tools to get through these down or irritable times. they can be pretty darn awesome. i'm trying to find one closer to home.

i also take multivitamins and b12 on a regular basis. but on those real "funky days" (that's what i call them) i take some st. johns wart. those things have really been helpful for me.

Good luck, mama.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 1:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• 30 minute walks are good too. you're getting out of the house, your blood is flowing, and your brain can breathe. there are days you might hafta force yourself to to do this, but it's very beneficial :)
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 1:20 PM on May. 18, 2011