Have you heard of K12?

My mother phoned me recently after seeing the commercial for this free online public school. I only half-listened to her discussion of it, honestly, because she tends to word things in such a way that I feel like she's telling me how to parent.

I do want to home school my girls, but DH does not. I'm trying to share resources and information with him before DD1 turns 5 (she just turned 4) so that if I do home school he's on board with it.

I saw the commercial myself yesterday. I got onto their website and browsed around (apparently they also have paid private-school options, but the free program is still a great program), then filled out the form for more information. They called me within ten minutes of clicking "submit." I was excited to learn that, in my state, a kindergarten student enrolled in this school is provided with his or her own computer and all of the required learning materials to be successful in this online program.

If DD1 attended, she'd also be assigned a state-certified teacher to work one-on-one with her and her curriculum online, on the phone, and even in person. They would also have field trips once a month (not mandatory, but available) with fellow students.

The curriculum would be based on her current skill set, focusing more on what she still needs to learn while still reinforcing things she already knows, and she would not be allowed to advance to the next grade level until she mastered the one she started with.

I got excited about this program even though DD1 still has another year before she could enroll. Apparently participants are chosen by random lottery, so I'd have to get her on the list in February and they said they'd call me again in February as a reminder. They're also sending an informational packet and DVD. DH is even interested in the idea (I think the free computer for DD1 hooked him, lol).

If DD1 were attending this type of school, her days would be free for family activities, appointments, community programs, and even college courses (the local college has community chorus, community band, etc. as well as children's learning academies during the summer and courses designed for children during the school year).

DH's main concern about home schooling was socialization, but with monthly field trips and various programs in the community or at the college, I think DD1 would get plenty of social interaction.

Do you home school? What program do you use? Would you consider K12?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 1:00 PM on May. 18, 2011 in

• I just got done getting my daughter's paper work together...she needs to be alone to learn at her best capacity. Her behavior was also changing drastically because she wanted to make friends, and she's not that kind of kid to get in trouble. So I did what was best for my daughter. Right now I am a SAHM and even in my future job that I am in grad school to get...I will have enough time outside of work to help her. My daughter also participates in learning academies sort of...she comes and chills in my one class with me...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:16 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I'd consider it if I was a SAHM. I would never homeschool myself because I'm not teacher material but if they had their own teacher with the program I might consider it, again if I was a SAHM. However, I also wouldn't want to deprive my child of the social interactions they get at school. I do realize that there are other ways for a kid to make friends but I honestly don't feel like the social skills you learn at school can be replaced anywhere.
    Anonymous

• I think K12 is a great idea.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:27 AM on May. 20, 2011

• @Anon That's why I would love to put her in the college's learning academies and in other courses (like dance classes, choir, band, cheer) that are available in the community. She would be in a classroom setting making friends for those situations. I am just disenchanted with the public schooling system at traditional brick-and-mortar public schools.
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 1:13 PM on May. 18, 2011