Opinionated and Frustrated...

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and something crossed my mind that hadn't crossed it before. Should I as a mom and a "wife" allow the role as a housewife to consume my life? Some seem to think so and I have seen it done. What do you think? Are the guide lines of being a housewife, “fine lines”? Are we as woman and mothers thought of as lazy or bad parents/spouses if we want to have some "free time, me time."

Booboos_mommi

Asked by Booboos_mommi at 1:03 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• We can't help our kids like we should if we don't have time to take care of ourselves first.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• There are times when, as a mom, you have to put your kids or your home or someone/thing else before yourself. But I think that's true of any role. We can't always come first. But, we shouldn't always come last.

We should sometimes, in fact, come first. The key to doing this mother/wife/whatever well, is knowing when to put yourself first, and when to set aside your personal desires and tend to someone else's needs. It's an art.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• you're not bad/lazy for taking some "me time"
    we need that time to be in a better place mentally and emotionally. we spend everyday all day taking care of the people we love. i always feel bad for taking a day off for me, but when i'm done i feel so refreshed & take on the household better than before lol.
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 1:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I have to agree with RelaxedMom we do need "me time" sometimes just to feel human lol and it doesn't make us bad or lazy for taking it when we can. Its definitely hard i mean now that im a sahm i feel guilty sometimes when dh tries to help me because i feel like if home is my job i should have to do it all. I can't go to his work and help him. But i think dh puts it best when he says "compared to being home with the kids ALL day going to work is a BREAK." I think most of us moms would agree but then we end up feeling guilty if we need to work its a vicious cycle. So take some you time when you can and don't beat yourself up!
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 2:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i agree with sarahm.1983.

i don't think any mom is lazy or bad for wanting or needing to take some "me time", but i have seen and been around some people that think we're horrible or lazy for the house not consuming our day, or going out shopping for us one day without a child in tote. everyone needs it from time to time. i love my dd to death, but when i say i need a break, i truly am at my breaking point, if not a little bit beyond it, while our babysitter wants at least a weeks notice, and dh is always planning his own things because he needs his "wind down" time...what about me?! it's kind of a catch 22 in all honesty, we wind up feeling too guilty for doing anything for ourselves and not puting our kids first. honestly, i don't care what people think of me..i know i'm a good mom, and like any other mom, i need some time for me, and if anyone thinks i'm horrible for needing time once every few months, then so be it.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• IDK I am more of the stay home, do my job SAHM.... DH and I spend the enire weekend togehter and I get Saturday to do my thing....
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:12 PM on May. 18, 2011