There is a post on heartworm treatment of garlic, yucca, wormwood, hawthorn berry. Do you give the treatment every month for 6 months and then at 6 months eliminate the wormwood, or do you give the treatment only once and wait for the 6th month and repeat without the wormwood?

flower360

Asked by flower360 at 1:15 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Is this for a dog that has heartworms or as a preventative? If it were me I would take the dog to the vet and get the preventative or if the dog has heartworms I would have the vet treat it. Yes it is expensive. I had to have a dog I got from a shelter treated. I knew she had them and was prepared to have her treated. She is a wonderful dog and I am glad that I did. Heartworms are horrible and I would not trust some homemade recipe for prevention or treatment.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 1:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You take the dog to the vet (if she has heartworm already) because if not treated properly, it can be fatal. Get Interceptor as a preventative if the dog doesn't have heartworm (again from the vet).
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:22 PM on May. 18, 2011

• This was the formula:
    1 - 1000mg GARLIC
    1/2 - 490MG YUCCA
    1/2 WORMWOOOD COMBINATION
    1/2 550MG hawthorn berry

FOUND AT VITAMINE STORES

6 MONTHS AFTER GIVE SAME COMBINATION BUT DISCONTINUE THE WORMWOOD
    flower360

Comment by flower360 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i LIVE AT A DEAD END ON MY STREET, SOMEONE DUMPED A GERMAN SHEPARD OFF AND I TOOK HER IN AND FED HER AND SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE MAY HAVE HEARTWORMS. SINCE I HAVE BEEN FEEDING HER SHE HAS NOT GAINED ANY WEIGHT NO MATTER HOW MUCH I FEED HER. EFFIDENTLY THE PERSON THAT DUMPED HER KNEW SHE WAS SICK. SHE IS A VERY LOYLE DOG AND VERY PROTECTIVE OF ME. SHE IS GETTING TO BE SKIN AND BONES. SHE IS VERY HYPER AND IF SHE KNOWS I AM SOMEWHERE WHERE SHE CAN'T GET TO ME, SHE HAS THIS TRAIL AROUND THIS OAK TREE THAT HAS ALMOST CREATED A DITCH AROUND IT. SHE IS VERY AGRESSIVE WHEN SOMEONE SHE DON'T KNOW COMES UP.
    flower360

Comment by flower360 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Take him to the vet. ASAP! If he is skin and bones, this will not help. This is a very advanced case if he's lost that much weight and is not gaining with increased amounts of food. It may be too late for him unfortunately, but only a vet can tell you that and if treatment will not help at his point, it is best to have him put to sleep. Heartworm is very painful and the best thing would be to put her down humanely if she has no chance of recovery.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It may not even be heartworms. It could all kinds of things and you won't find out unless you take the dog to the vet.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 3:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You should not give the dog anything unless you know for a fact the dog has heartworms. You need to have the dog checked by a vet, have bloodwork run. Intestinal worms can cause this, hyperthyroidism(rare in dogs but does happen) can cause this. There are many things that could be going on. The dog could very well have heartworms but you won't know unless you have the dog tested.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree a vet is mandatory for successful treatment. There is no way to tell on sight that a dog has heartworms, only a blood test can confirm it.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:12 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Take the dog to the vet ASAP! You cannot tell by looking at a dog if they have heartworms! The vet needs to do a simple blood test to determine that. From the dogs physical description it sounds to me like she has internal parasites, which will cause weight loss no matter HOW much they eat, as the worms rob the animal of all nutrition from it's food! Worms will be fatal if left untreated! Another sign of worms, is the animal will always be hungry no matter how much they eat. To determine if your dog has worms, you need a fecal (poop) sample. Using rubber gloves or baggies on your hands, scoop up a recent poop & put it in a ziploc bag.Take it to vet very soon after you collect the sample to be examined. Please DONOT use ANY homeopathic remedies on your dog until you have her seen by a vet, as some homeopathics are fatal to animals. I know you mean well, but your dog needs to see a Vet like "Right Now!"
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 7:39 PM on May. 19, 2011