How much does it cost?

I was talking to a lady and I suggested she get a small 2 bedroom starter house for her and her 2 kids. she said she wouldn't want a house right now cause the heating bill would be outrageous....I don't think it would cost that much...a small starter home maybe lights and gas...$150 a month? She qualifies for assistance and stuff so she could get on a program.

The landlord thinks she said it cause she don't want to pay no matter what it is...it's an excuse to stay in the bording house she is at. So does it cost that much for a small home or even small t average size apartment (she works full time and kids are both in school full time).

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 1:28 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• It depends on what kind of heat the house uses? If she has to use oil then it is expensive but there are programs to give you 100 gallons. I know my dd had help last year, but you generally go through around 200-250 gallons a winter, and its roughly $4 a gallon. Plus electric. I had a 3 bdrm small house once with all electric heat and it was upwards of $400-500 a month in the winter. So again, it depends on the sort of heat.

Answer by gemgem at 1:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I had a 2 bedroom when I was a single mom. The heating bill was worse than the electric. We live where it gets realy cold so my heating cold be $250/month for the 3 coldest months of the year. Of course electric was only about $60 during those months. In the summer is it switched and gas was maybe $30 and electric was $150. Their is assistance for utilities fo rlow income families. My water bill was $30 and included trash I think.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My utilities were ridiculously low when I lived in a 2br! They were never over $150 and that was in the middle of winter/summer. Plus, when I was a single mom I qualified for electrical assistance 2 years and they sent me a fairly large check in February to help out with the heating bills.

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• yeah I thik she was just making excuse for not wanting to move out. She is a grown woman like mid 30's? I could see if I was saying pay the heating and light (electric) bill for a 5 bedroom house and ur low income but I meant something that is affordable for her. SMH
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• What will be a big factor in this is the age of the house, the materials used, and whether it is well insulated. Many states are cutting back on utility assistance as a money saving measure so she may not be able to rely on that. If she finds a specific place, she can go to the utility company and get an audit of the high and low months of usage to see what the previous residents were having to pay.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Well, my heads kinda crazy right now, so ignore this if it makes no sense, but I'll do my best. I have a small 2br house, my rent is $600 a month and my gas bill is usually about $150 - $200 in the winter, around $30 in the summer. As far as her getting assistance or something that's not something I can really say anything about, I have never qualified because my grandmother is my landlady.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• @Sabrina ok see that makes sense. I know when I lived in a LARGE 2 bedroom my bills were like that so that is why i was looking at her like are youjust afraid to move out and making that an excuse or what? I mean I know that is a factor but not number one...maybe #4 or something lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I pay $150 for electric alone in a 1000sq ft house. Heating is seperate.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:37 PM on May. 18, 2011