Potty training a boy...what do you do in public restrooms?

We are potty training my 34 month old. He is pretty good at telling us when he needs to go and going in the little potty sitting down where there is that little cup like thing so that the pee doesn't go everywhere. When we were out and about, he needed to go potty. I brought him to the bathroom and kinda stared because I had no idea what to do. He is too short to stand at the toilet, but when he sits his pee will go everywhere. Any suggestions?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 1:28 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was too short, I still had him stand but I held him so he wouldn't miss the potty or he would go while on his tip toes
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yeah, There are actually these little cone things that you can put over his peep to make the pee go in the toilet. I would google it for you but I'm at work and don't want a call from the IT dept saying "Why are you googling penis cones?"
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 1:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I always had mine stand on my feet- or, if it is really raunchy (and I still do this with my 6 year old if I have to) I hold them under their arms, pull their pants to mid thigh and use the back of them to hoist them over the potty.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You teach him how to bend over slightly when sitting so he doesn't pee up and out. He HAS to LEARN to aim it when he sits.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• They make portable seat toppers that have a cup to keep it from going everywhere. Also, a tip I learned is to take post it notes to cover the automatic flush sensor as kids are short and many times, it will flush while they are on it. This scares them to death and may stall public potty training.
    also, look for family restrooms as they tend to have child size pottys.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:31 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I always bring my son to the restroom with me, he is 5 years old and little for his age too. I always ,well had to until recently he grown a lot, just pick him up in front of the toilet, let him hold his private while he pees, and that was it.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Push it down with your hand. Just hold it in place while he pees. Don't worry, this won't last long.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Teach him how to pee on a regular potty at home. He can tuck it down in and then close his legs.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Paper the toilet & hold him to stand on the seat.
    Anonymous

• Just have him sit, and let it hang down, just make sure he is far enough back .
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:22 PM on May. 18, 2011