I need advice on controling diabetes with diet, my fiance is a diabetic and I am looking for ideas, recipes or anything that will help get his levels under control. They are usually ok during the day and high at night. We both need to lose some weight, any advice will help.

tamara2065

Asked by tamara2065 at 1:46 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you watching your carb intake (the white stuff, pasta, rice, bread, crackers, etc.) in addition to sugar intake? Are you supplementing with Chromium GTF? Is exercise part of your daily plan?
    Anonymous

• I just bought two diabetic cookbooks (for one or two persons) on Amazon for less than $12 (with S&H) for a friend. Go to a used bookstore, look online, It can be controlled with diet. Following the diet with him will help both of you release the weight. Use the word release. If you say "lose" you might find it again.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• This website is awesome........all sorts of info and nutrition stuff!
    http://www.dlife.com/
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We talk about exercising but haven't got going on it. I even got the family membership to the Y that he wanted and we haven't found the time to get in a routine to go. I have heard about Chromium but I don't know anything about it, so I will look into that. I use whole wheat pastas, brown rice and and whole wheat or rye breads. He is Italian, the man likes to eat lol. I love the word release for weight loss that is great! thanks
    tamara2065

Comment by tamara2065 (original poster) at 2:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• is he type 1 or two? Is he on insulin?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:10 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Honestly, he needs to go through the nutrition courses offered by most hospitals.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Type two, takes medication and two types of insulin. Sees a diatician at the VA hospital.
    tamara2065

Comment by tamara2065 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I often go to allrecipes.com I like it because I can put things like sugar free cake in the search box and it brings up lots of recipes for all levels of cooking skill and related recipes like sugar free icing. Is your fiance also watching his fat intake and overall caloric intake? Sometimes ppl think if they just watch the sugar and carb intake that's it. If he is taking in too many calories his sugar levels will run high. I had a Y membership also, didn't get there much when it was on the way to and from work. Stopped going all together when I changed jobs. This year I bought a WII and I started walking my dog instead of just letting him out. I WII everyday and walk the pooch 2x's a day. I don't want him to become road kill, he keeps crossing the road when I let him out neighbor has cats.
    Gmama17

Answer by Gmama17 at 3:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• when you say at Night, do you mean in the evenings, or does he go to bed taking his slow acting insulin (probably levemir or lantis) and wakes up with high blood sugar?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm type 2. I was having a hard time controlling sugar spikes. A month ago, I started drinking herbalife shakes (allergen free). One for breakfast & 1 for lunch. For me they are very filling. I have more energy. If I need a snack, I munch on carrots or other veggies. I eat supper with my family. Since I started this my sugar hasn't been fluctuating much. My fasting glucose is down 50 points.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:00 AM on May. 19, 2011