Crying wolf

Are people who are legitimate victims of racism being victimized twice by people (like some posters here) who constantly drag race into everything and try to paint everything they disagree with as racism? Doesn't that make them, in fact, the true racists - people working towards an agenda (over-saturating society with false, baseless claims) that marginalizes racial discrimination?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Interesting point. I think you are probably right.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:12 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think that's a really good point, and can't wait to hear what some people here have to say about it....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes, I believe in a way it does. While it might not be geared toward all cases of racism specifically, it delegitimizes the claim of racism and renders the word practically meaningless. It is not a term I use loosely, but then again I find that it's a serious accusation and am not so careless with my words.

Interesting and thought provoking question.  Unfortunately, I doubt it will sink in where it is desperately needed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree that crying wolf does make people less likely to believe legit claims.

I don't agree that the wolf criers are racist themselves, necessarily. Many just know that accusations of racism are almost impossible to defend against and are very effective at silencing people. So they bring it out even when they know it's not real just to fight dirty.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• heeheehee...yup.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree. I think "racism" has been called so many times people no longer know what it really means. It has become a convenient card to be played.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:10 PM on May. 18, 2011

• All I can say is yes. Take a trip to MS and you can see that blacks there are still treated like it is 1940. With absolutely no help from our current government or race activists like Jackson or Sharpton. Even they won't go there. Mostly, because they are very POOR blacks there is simply no money in MS. If anyone wanted to really deal with racism, they would start in MS where it is still a way of life. Obama won't visit there either.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Agree with you 100% ~ and bumped you :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• jewjewbee- you do realize that racism is not only toward blacks right?
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 3:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• uhmm.....yeah
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:37 PM on May. 18, 2011