Now I'm nervous about the spinal!!

I'm going in for my c-section this upcoming Monday. I wasn't nervous for the longest time but the closer it gets, the more nervous I seem to be getting. I was induced with my son in 2009 and was in labor for 12 1/2 hours. They gave me an epidural but I had a bad reaction to it. It numbed up to my neck and made my blood pressure drop and my son's heart rate drop. I got very nauseous as well. They cut down the dosage and took it out. The doctor wouldn't break my water because he said it would put my son in even more distress since his heart rate had dropped. I also wouldn't dilate past 2 or 3 cm. They ended up doing a c-section and giving me a spinal. The c-section went great and the spinal worked perfectly. I was reading a question on here about a spinal during c-section and it got me thinking, if the anesthesiologist giving me the spinal this time doesn't know anything about my bad reaction to the epidural, could they do something with the spinal and it mess up the same way as the epidural did? I should probably tell them about the reaction I had beforehand, right? Thanks in advance.

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 1:59 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• just be sure to tell them what happened last time and im sure they will handle things perfectly! Dont start stressing now momma you will be holding that bundle of joy shortly! Congrats
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• First stop :::: BREATH::: SMILE and realize that ur lil bunde of joy is comin SOON!!! As for being scared TELL the Anist. about what happend. and realax they are profesionals.........
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 2:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I just had a spinal with my c-section in April. It was very scary for me as I had never had anything like that done before and not being able to move my body was very weird at all. But you should certainly make sure that everyone involved in your care when you have the c-sections knows about your previous experience and what happened. You will sound like a broken record after the second or third time but it needs to be said and everyone needs to know.

Good luck and congratulations!
    kirstenvargo

Answer by kirstenvargo at 2:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes, I think so!
    Its worth repeating yourself as much as you need to.

Also, it's safest to avoid UNnecessary risks, obviously.

If a cesarean is required then you are working to come to terms with weighing the risks.
    If you don't need one then it will be important to be aware that you have choices and can avoid adding unnecessary risks.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• When they tell you to lie still and don't move, don't!! I accidentally moved with mine and it went up into my head. I don't have technical terms, and I am not an anesthesiologist, but the end result was, it wasn't pretty! LOL! Just lie still and do as they instruct.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• What's the difference between an epidural and spinal?
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 2:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• BREATH and RELAX. I had the same exact thing happen with my first child and when I had my daughter in 2009. You have to relax because when I had my second child I wasn't and they had the hardest time sticking me. I cringe everytime I think about that time so just Relax. JUST THINK ABOUT HOW YOUR GONNA FEEL AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL! PURE JOY:)
    angela627

Answer by angela627 at 2:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You will meet with the anesthesiologist before your csection and address your concerns with him or her
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 4:40 PM on May. 18, 2011