Do you have a guinea pig, hamster or parakeet? My DS is begging for one or all! LOL

We have a dog, and a cat, but DS would like one of the above, I am unsure if kitty would find a way to kill them,, Are they hard to take care of, can you leave any of them alone for the weekend? We do with cat, but never with dog! My son thinks a parakeet can talk, but from most of what I have read this is not the case, would like your advice on any or ALL!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 2:03 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Parakeets can not talk. If he really wants a bird, I grew up with cockatiels. They won't get the kind of vocabulary that a parrot has but they may pick up a few words or sounds and they are gentler and easier to handle than parrots or parakeets when it comes to kids. You want to get them hand raised from a breeder. This ensures that they will not be hand aggressive. They were always very sweet birds, not terribly expensive ($25-50 most times) and they are very tolerant of kids. Excellent for first time bird owners but any bird will need a sitter if you go away for the weekend. Birds are particular and want fresh seed and water every day. You can get their wings clipped at the vet so they can't fly (they can still glide but not fly) and you will need to teach your son to be gentle and not to try to squeeze or pick up the bird, but rather let the bird climb on his hand and gently stroke down his back with one finger. The males-
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Birds can be hard to take care of. I would avoid getting one. We've had guinea pigs and hamsters. As far as rodents go, I prefer rats. They make great pets. They are very social (so I would suggest getting 2 of the same sex) and they can be trained.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:08 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I vote for a guinea pig. They live about 5-7 years and are easy to take care of.

I'm with the others against the parakeet. They can be very noisy and messy, and you have to be careful letting them out of their cage. They can live 15-20 years, so you may be stuck with this bird when your son leaves the house.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'd sooner peck my own eyes out than own a parakeet.

have you looked into a ferret or hedgehog??
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:21 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I love my guinea pigs- they are sweet little critters! We have two and they are very nice with our small children. However, they are really not 'low maintenance' pets- they are better kept in pairs as they are very social (but be sure they are the same gender!) They need a good sized cage, weekly cleaning, a good quality diet with pellets containing vitamin C, unlimited timothy hay, and fresh fruit and veggies. They can be left alone overnight or for a weekend provided you have a large water bottle and a large feeding dish for them. I would just make sure you are willing to take on the work of any pet you get for your son, since chances are it will be mom doing the cleaning/feeding... that's just the way it is!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:40 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I have 8 guinea pigs. Want a few? Those are our babies. They lay on us, lick us, squeak, etc. My kids are good with them. They are perfect pets but need their cage clean out, fresh vegetables, hay, pellets. Guinea pigs usually need a companion.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:24 AM on May. 19, 2011

• A fish is a good choice. I would never have a hamster with a cat in the house. Hamsters are escape artists. Every hamster I have ever heard of has gotten out at least once. Your cat would eat it before you even knew it was out. If you change your mind or the kid decides that fish aren't cuddly enough, borrow a guinea pig and see if it drive the cat insane before you commit to getting one of your own.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:33 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I always had guinea pigs and hamsters when I was little, I would get a guinea pig they are easier to handle and good first pets. Easy to take care of just get a cage little ,house, water bottle, food dish, wood chips and they are happy. Don't buy a cage with a wire bottom though. Yep they are okay for a weekend I recommend getting a bigger water bottle though and food dish.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:08 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I hate parakeets, messy, non social and noisy.

I have a guinea pig and when she dies I will not buy another one. She stinks all the time, pees a lot. Kicks out her shavings and the kids no longer pay any attention to her.

I have had hamsters. They are not very smart, will walk right off the edge of the counter instead of turn around. They like to bite, and can be moody. But they are super cute. Same with the cage. Super smelly.

I always had cats, and I never had a cat kill any of my pets ever.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:10 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think we shall get a fish then,, lol,, he is begging to have a pet of his "own" Kitty prefers DH and doggie is my second child,, lol!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 2:14 PM on May. 18, 2011