Would You

Do something for you child birthday, even though she did not do well in school, her birthday is in June when school lets out for the summer.

ttk2

Asked by ttk2 at 2:03 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes.......punish any which way around that day that celebrates her life.........screw ups or not.......she still deserves a celebration, even it is a small one. It's not like it is a national holiday, that can be "taken away", but not her birthday!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Absolutely. Birthday's are about celebrating life, not punishing mistakes. There are plenty of other ways to address a poor school year w/o turning a birthday sour.
    JewelryDivaLisa

Answer by JewelryDivaLisa at 2:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes. A birthday party is a celebration of them being here and alive. I dont believe you should take away that celebration.

Answer by gemgem at 2:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would keep it with just a family thing, invite family and tell her she can invite her best-friend and their parents
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Totally seperate issues if you ask me, now that being said, I would not spend 100's of dollars, perhaps give her a goal to work for for a 1/2 birthday party,, for example this year we are going bowling and you can invite 2 or 3 friends, if you do better in school next year we will take you and (however many) to an amusement park or on a small trip.. I think not to celebrate it for YOU and for her being on the earth and healthy is not a good idea!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Im sorry but your daughters' birthday is a special day for you and her. The day she left your womb and also the day she saw the light was emotional for the 2 of you so celebrate it only happens once a year.
    Rollinro

Answer by Rollinro at 2:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would still give her a birthday party, every kid should have them.
    DomesticQueen07

Answer by DomesticQueen07 at 2:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I talked with her this morning, I was telling her that I have a chance to do some over-time at work her birthday weekend, she wants a sleepover. I said that she can have a few friends sleep over and I will take them skating, she also ask for the mall also, but I said no. I really want this over-time, she is also going camping the week before her birthday and wants me and her baby sister to come, but I will be spending money on that , so I told her no and she got upset with me. I don't know what to do, since she's been having minor problems in school
    ttk2

Comment by ttk2 (original poster) at 2:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes, my children's birthday celebrations are not contigent on whether they do well in school or not. There are other ways to encourage them to do better in school.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Of course.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on May. 18, 2011