Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can anyone help me or point me in the direction of help for a child with anxiety?

My son was diagnosed a little over a year ago with Anxiety. He is six and will be seven in September. His anxieties are with:

Discipline, Swimming, Being alone *such as at bed time, taking a bath, playing with toys etc.*, trying new physical things...

When I say discipline, his anxiety is with my tone. It is a basic firm, but calm tone slightly deeper I would say than my normal voice. I don't spank him or anything to give him cause to be anxious. Swimming is simple. He will get into a pool but not get off the side and will only stay in the parts that he can touch. And being alone...all normal moments for a six year old to be "alone" in a room he is scared. Not even night lights help him or favorite toys etc.

So if anyone has any steps I can take or know a good website to help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your attention on this.


Answer Question

Asked by AnC83 at 2:26 PM on May. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 12 (888 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • My son suffers from severe anxiety disorder. A year ago he could barely leave tht house. The best thing yto do is find a behaviour analyst or developmental pediatrician to steer you in the right direction. Also a very good child therapist can help teach you and your child how to use coping skills and such. In our area there are also support groups and PLAY therapy groups for children with anxiety disorders so google them and see. If he has sensory anxiety an occupational thrapist can do wonders.

    Answer by mamallamaof2 at 2:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

  • I'm sorry Mama... I'll bump you - my son was Diagnosed at 3 with Anxiety and I deal with many of the same things.. sleep especially..

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:31 PM on May. 18, 2011

  • I would recommend therapy. You can search for therapists that specialize in anxiety. My son is in therapy now.

    Answer by FelipesMom at 2:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

  • What does a bump mean or do? lol sorry I am honestly really new to this.

    Comment by AnC83 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

  • Just means it will up your question to front page to get more people to look at it to help you until another question is bumped in the section

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

  • Some forms of anxiety are caused by physical factors such as sensory over load. Often these children are very emotional, more so than most children, if corrected. I have parents complete a sensory profile, I score it, and if it warrents an OT eval we refer out. I also do parent child relationship training which significantly improves child communication skills, reduces anxiety, and in general makes life more easier. Only a registered play therapist would have these skills for the parent child traing. I also work with parents to beef up their skills to cope with a child who is out of sync.

    Answer by frogdawg at 8:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • The fact you listed what you did....I would have both OT and PT do an eval. Also make sure they specialize in sensory intergration issues in children.

    Answer by frogdawg at 8:08 AM on May. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.