Training a new puppy

We are getting a new puppy and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on potty training them easily. It has been so long since I trained a dog that I forget how to do it. LOL Are there any good books out there for this purpose? Thanks for any help.

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 9:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Pets

• Think small child. Don't take your eye off him. Take him outside frequently. Every time he gets playing, every time he eats or drinks, and every hour or so in between. Eventually he'll get it. And he'll come up with a way to "tell" you that he needs to go out.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Crate training is the easiest way. Get a kennel that gives them enough room to turn around, stand and lay comfortably but not big enough that they could potty on one side and get away from it on the other. During the day when you're home take them out every or so, depending on the breed, and give them a command like "potty" walk them around on a leash give them plenty of time to go, praise accordingly. Leave them in the kennel while you are gone and at night. The bigger the breed, the longer they can go between potty breaks and the faster they will be able to e completely "trained". Little dogs have tiny bladders, some tea-cup breeds can take up to a year before they can be counted on not to have accidents. Good luck!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• You can potty train a dog without crate training them. I just posted this in another question. I think crate training is down right mean. I have 3 dogs, my mom has 2 and over the course of my life she's had many many more and guess what all the dogs are potty trained and not one was trained using a crate.

My suggestion is to take your pup out frequently, especially if you've given her water, take her out 15 minutes later. The best thing I found when we got our new puppy back in May is rewarding her, everytime she went outside she got a treat, she caught on SUPER fast. Much faster then my other two.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• my dog is crate trained, and there is NOTHING mean about doing it properly. taking frequent breaks outside is key. i don't think puppy pads or newspapers on the ground is the best way- it confuses the dog. using treats or praise after the dog "goes" is an excellent way to help train them. also, you can try putting a bell on the door you go out of. ring it every time you go outside to go potty and when you come in. eventually, the dog will learn to ring the bell to let you know he wants to go out. the only other thing is time. it takes time, and there will be accidents. just remember that it is a dog! good luck! :)
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 7:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Crate training mimics the den for a dog. It's a very good thing to provide for your dog. Never use it as punishment, it's his bed, his safety and comfort place. People often try to "humanize" their dogs, and give them human traits. Dogs are animals. Yes we love them. But they're animals, and you can't take their basic traits out of them. If the crate is used positively, it'll be a good thing for the dog. All we have to say is "kennel in". and they're in. No fighting, no chasing, and the door doesn't even get latched. It's bedtime. The little one is only 4 months now, but we spend alot of time training. Potty time he comes to tell us either by poking with his nose or sitting by the door. When we go out we call it "hurry up". He goes to the same spot at the edge of the yard every time.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I was a dog trainer at one time and the BEST thing I can say is this. POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT! When you take the puppy outside and she potties, praise her and give her a treat. She'll get the idea quickly. Also, if there is a PetSmart in your area go and talk about the free potty training sessions they provide. You don't take your puppy, just yourself. The associates should also be able to give you some good pointers if you talk to them personally. Good luck!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Kennels are a great way to housetrain a dog. Kennels are not inhumane in any way, even the vets will encourage you to use a kennel. Make sure the kennel is large enough for the pup to be comfortable, but not too large. If they are too large, then the pup will poo/pee in one end of the kennel and use the other end to sleep in. The pup will learn not to potty where it has to sleep. This will teach your dog to "hold it" until you let him/her out. Never let your dog run the house unsupervised!
    Don't free feed the pup either, this is one thing that will help you. Feed your pup twice a day and never feed him/her before bed time. If you control when she eats, you can also help control when she poops. If you free feed, then she will eat through out the day, and this will cause him/her to poop all day.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Also, let the pup out right after he/she wakes up, after play time and before bed. Never yell or spank your pup for going potty in the house. Go out with the pup when you let him/her out and tell the pup to "go potty" and right when he/she does, reward the pup with lots of praise and maybe even a small treat.
    Good luck.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Kennels are a great way to housebreak a dog. They are not cruel or mean in any way (if used correctly). Kennels should be used at night and when you are unable to supervise your pup. Make sure the kennel is big enough, but you don't want the kennel to be too big either. Kenneling will keep your dog safe when you not home. This will prevent your pup from eating something that it shouldn't (houseplants, small toys . . . ) these things can harm your new pup. It will also stop your pup from chewing on things that it shouldn't ( shoes, furniature, electrical cords . . .) and trust me, pups will find and chew on just about anything.
    Anonymous

• CONTINUATION FROM ABOVE ANSWER:

Putting them in a kennel when will also eliminate the potty messes that you have to clean up around the house. Pups will learn not to potty in their kennels, because it is where they sleep and nothing wants to potty in its own bed. If you let the dog roam the house when you are not home and at night, it will potty all over the place.
    Never use the kennel as punishment, EVER. Dogs are den animals. My dogs don't have to be kenneled much at all any more, but then still LOVE their kennesl. The kennel doors are open when they are not shut in them, but our dogs still sleep in their kennels when they are ready for a nap.
    Talk to your vet, they will tell you that kennels are a great way to housebreak a dog, and that they are not cruel/mean.
    Anonymous