How many parent spank for justified reasons?

justified in your eyes* ie throwing stuff, being mean to others, talking back, disobeying after asking them repeatedly to do or not to do something. At what age do you think spanking is appropriate with in reason, I don't mean beating your kids or spaking with objects I mean a spank on the butt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• At about a year and a half they seem to understand enough to understand spanking but the rule my Mother told me was never more whacks then the child's age and if one is enough don't do three.
    The really dangerous things seem to warrent spanking ie playing in the street,repeatedly touching the stove or oven but generally it's useful when a child doesn't seem to respond to other methods like timeouts.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 4:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Wow, lots of people don't know how to answer a question. I spank my kids rarely, here lately just the threat scares them bad enough. I am not going to tell them several times to do something though. Writing sentences hurts worse right now.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't see any justified reason for spanking. So no.
    Anonymous

• IMO, spanking is not justified. Just like punching someone for throwing something is not justified.

Spanking, to me, is a form of domination, ie. I'm bigger than you and I can hit you but you cannot hit me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No spanking here. I'm sure that everyone who does spank thinks it is justified in their own eyes, though. That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i try not to spank..but i do from time to time. most of the time it's for anything that could harm dd (who's almost 3), or if she's doing something that could harm others--like throwing toys at me. spanking is really a last resort..right now, threatening to take a phone and movies or anything electronic away works best (ie--if i have to tell her something over and over, or she starts with a fit, the ipad gets taken away for the night..she has a ton of apps--like learning apps and dress up apps--on dh's ipad so she straightens up fairly fast when i tell her that).

Dh on the other hand, spanks over just about everything. it drives me insane because i don't feel like everything calls for spanking as punishment. so yeah, we obviously don't exactly see eye to eye on discipline.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• In my book, spanking is never appropriate. It is "allowed", but greatly discouraged as a form of discipline.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm not asking for a reason why you don't so if thats all you have don't post an answer
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Spanking your kid is not like punching them get real a wack on the butt never hurt a kid. I got wacked and it did me good I deserved it when I got one. AGAIN IF YOU DO NOT SPANK DO NOT POST A COMMENT

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:55 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Wow, anon. Why are you so upset?

Your question was "how many". In order to get an accurate number count, you need to take into account the "how many not".

Why the big uproar?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:58 PM on May. 18, 2011