CIRCUMCISED or NOT?

I'm guessing to most of you that's probably a stupid question. So when I became pregnant with my son back in 2004 I really had only been in a sexually active relatinship with 2 guys. My first love wasn't circumcised and then the father of my son was. But what the hell did I know it's not like I seen a bunch to do a comparison of all of them. So I took my son to his first week checkup and to get him circumcised. As i'm signing in there was a sign that said $250 up to im not sure how many months. I KID YOU NOT I started gathering my change together for my 2.50. So when the guy at the desk asked for payment he kinda chuckled and said no thats two hundred and fifty dollars. I didnt even have twenty bucks to my name let alone 200 and because my insurance sucked I shrugged it off thinking well edward ( my first love) wasn't circumcised so whats the big deal. It woulda helped if my sons dad wasn't worthless and coulda gave it to me but he didnt seem to think it was a biggie(which isnt saying much because he isn't too bright come to find out). So years down the road after I left my sons dad 3,000 miles away where he's from and belongs:) I got back together with the original love of my life and one day I dont remember what exactly I was doing but I mentioned my son wasn't circumcised and he looked at me and said "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO HIM?" I was like I didnt know I figured you werent so whats the big deal? Of course he kinda rolled his eyes and shook his head. So ladies my son turned 6 in Feb. and I really feel bad. Was I stupid not to know better or not? Is it too late to have it done? This has really been on my mind. Any feedback is appreciated

angela627

Asked by angela627 at 2:41 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• None of my boys are circ'd and I am happy with that decision. If any of them are not happy with that decision, they have the option to get circ'd if they want to. I would not circ a 6 year old without a medical reason. Leave it up to him at this point.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would leave the choice up to your son. If he wants it done as an adult, that's one thing. But many men are intact and are perfectly happy with it- just because your boyfriend wishes he was doesn't mean your son will. My son is not circ'd... neither is his dad or anyone in his dad's family, because culturally it's just not practiced in their background. None of them are unhappy with intact penises. Don't put a 6 year old through surgery just because another person wishes he was circ'd... let your son choose for himself when he's old enough to make the choice.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would leave your Son the way he is, it's not a big deal, he is already used to what he has. I wouldn't put him through a circumcision at his age. Just curious, but why did your S/O say that? I am wondering what his opinion is and why does he feel so strongly about being circumcised? By the way, my DH is not circumcised but I has my Son circumcised in the Hospital when he was born. My DH said for me to make the choice. He didn't mind either way.

Anonymous

• Please don't worry about it. Only 50% get circumcised any more. Your guy's bad experience is from the old days when almost everyone was circumcised. It probably made him feel different than other kids in the locker room. Your son's experience will be different because half the kids have it done and half don't.

We didn't have our son circumcised because we don't believe in blindly doing what doctor's say. We are Christian and some Christians would argue that because the bible says to do it, do it. But it's in the Old Testament and there are places in the New Testament where it says God circumcises our hearts. We did not feel compelled to do it for religious reasons. Also, many years ago I watched a day time talk show where a man came on who was extremely distraught about his circumcision that was done to him as a baby. He felt so bad he found a doctor to reverse it.

It will be so painful and traumatic... cntd
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 2:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• has = had (spelling, sorry)
    Anonymous

• http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6584757516627632617 would you after that =/ If I ever have a boy he will not be to cruel and not necessary.....
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• ...cntd

for your son. When he is older, explain the situation to him and let him decide for himself. If he wants it done, get it done for him.

My son is 9 now. I told him the story and asked him if he wanted it done; he said no. I will ask him again in a few years to be sure, but for now, he is intact and doing just fine.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 2:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My sons are both circ'd when they were born. At this point I would leave it up to your son to decide. It probably won't be a big deal to him until he hits puberty or has to change for gym in middle/high school. Just teach him how to clean himself well.
    speechmom5765

Answer by speechmom5765 at 2:52 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My son had it done and he is doing fine.
    rowej

Answer by rowej at 2:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Thank you LADIES! I FELL SO MUCH BETTER NOW. I SWEAR I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. OK I GOT THAT ONE OFF MY CHEST. IDK WHAT MY S/O ISSUE IS. HE HAS MENTIONED HAVING TO PULL BACK AND HOW IT EASILY GETS DIRTY. Sorry didnt mean to scream. Also I have had some ladies tell me that its because they are super sensitive not being circumcised and in the bed dont last as long. But it wasn't just my s/o that told me OMG your son isnt circumciesd. Friends family member too. But I feel so much better now. This has been something I have wanted to asked for a long time and im glad I finally did. LOVE YOU LADIES. Glad to know im not the only one. You guys are AWESOME! One less worry off my plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    angela627

Comment by angela627 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on May. 18, 2011