How come?

I am curious. How come people believe the newspapers, everything they say? Every day I read articles posted here. And I think, theres got to be more to the story. Because, I know from my internship at a newspaper, newspapers really only print one side. A lot of the time they are lazy and just get the "easy"story. Or they are printing the "drama side". Not nessicarily posting the truth. Just entertainment. I've actually seen 4 retractions in the past week from my local paper due to not getting both sides. They are just reporting for reader numbers.

So Im just curious. Do you auto believe the newspaper? Or do you think of what the other side could be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What "other side" are you talking about?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The side that Obama's not wanting us to see. Duh.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Any side. Articles about people, politics, clubs, the president. Anything being said... Theres always one "party" posted about. There is almost always another "party" or side to every story...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• What you mean like...draw my own conclusion.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't automatically believe any source. All sources are questionable to a point. What makes you think that people only believe strictly what they read in the newspaper? Do most people even get the newspaper anymore? I don't. I read news online from a variety of sources and try to take each with a grain of salt.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes. People still get newspaper. And almost all newspapers are double posted online for those who dont get it to read. I just people read soemthing and like "oh thats horrible" or "Oh thats stupid" Or this and that. It just seems like most dont THINK what could be said from the other side. People just make automatic biased desicions based on whats read.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:52 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We don't get a newspaper. We only subscribed once to the paper and then found out with the "carrier's fee" it was cheaper to buy one from the store. I prefer to get my news online from a variety of sources.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 2:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• There are very few things I take at face falue. "News" isn't one of them.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• A lot of times people use a source like a newspaper story as the basis for their question here. This section is meant for discussion. By all means, if you want possible other scenarios to a story then feel free to ask it. On some debates other posters will research to find articles that have conflicting information as what was provided in the original post.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Well I try to go by what my dad told me. "Don't believe everything you hear or everything you read, there are two sides to everything, find out as much as you can and draw your own conclusions"

That said, I do wish that with legislation, they'd put out the information in a manner that doesn't require a law degree to understand it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:08 PM on May. 18, 2011