What are the odds of having a post partum hemhorage after having had one with a previous pregnancy?

When my son was born almost 5 years ago, I had a pph a couple of hours after he was born. My labor had been induced and after the doctor broke my water I went from about 2 centimeters to 10 in about 20 minutes time and delivered really with no doctor in the room. The staff doctor for the hospital came in just after he was delivered. There was all this commotion afterwards about why my doctor wasnt paged properly, etc. I have always felt that my pph could have been avoided if the doctors and nurses hadnt been so caught up in all this drama. I had 2 children prior to this. Both times I had no problems. I was allowed to take a shower within 20 to 30 minutes after giving birth. My nurses and doctor then encouraged women to try to go pee in the shower because it was the easiest time to go after having delievered a baby. I requested several times to get a shower. The nurse told me I had to go pee first. I also had felt several gushes of blood. I asked the nurse several times if it was normal. She said I was fine... until I then felt like I was going to pass out. My blood pressure dropped to 60/40 and the next couple hours were pure hell. I lost alot of blood. They were stcking needles in me and giving me all these shots to try to get my uterus to contract down.
Afterwards my doctors said it was probably caused because I hadnt been able to go pee. When my husband and I talked to him a few weeks afterwards he assured us that I should be able to have another child with no problems.
I'm now pregnant again and we are just a little worried that this could happen again. Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• In reading your description of your labor, there are a couple things that could have caused you to hemorrhage. Induction carries a risk of hemorrhage so I would avoid that. A fast labor and delivery is also a risk for bleeding. ...of course you can't always control that but I would avoid anything that speeds up labor. And your bladder getting too full could also lead to it. That could be avoided completely. GL.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Wow! I hope you found another doctor.. they should not have forced you too pee, that can put to much strain on your uterus especially after such a fast delivery.. you should have been resting right after you gave birth too, not taking a shower...

I've had postpartum hemorrhaging before.. the reason i hemorrhaged was because my doc told me to push to get the placenta out.. it was to soon and i started hemorrhaging because of that... I've had two other births since then with no complications.. with that said i also had a new doctor who told me what went wrong before and took precautions so it didn't happen again.
    TheHappyChicken

Answer by TheHappyChicken at 3:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would avoid induction mainly, and probably using that care provider, too.

Why were you induced?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:05 PM on May. 18, 2011