How do I tell people not to bring birthday gifts for other people?

May and June are big birthday months in our family. My fiancee, his Dad, Stepdad, and niece all have birthdays around within a one month time frame. Usually we try to have a birthday dinner for each person around their birthday, but this year was so hectic we just couldn't find 4 separate days where we could all get together. My fiancee's sister (whose daughter has a birthday too) said she'd like to come to town to celebrate her Dad's birthday and I offered to host a party for all four birthdays at our house. Now my fiancee is saying that several people are having trouble selecting gifts for him and his Dad and he wants to let people know that no gifts are required. I just don't know how to tell people not to bring a gift for him and his Dad without making the others feel like they should also tell people not to get them anything. Any ideas.

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 2:59 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• Instead of gifts bring a dish or dessert or wine..assign everyone something. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:17 AM on May. 19, 2011

• i wouldn't. if someone wants to gift one of them, as they normally would, let them.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We also have alot of birthdays in one month and we get together to celebrate all of the at one time. I always say no gifts and they get one anyway. So, now if asked I just say to donate to a shelter in my name. That way they can do something for me andit is for a good cause. Sometimes people just have to do some sort of gift.
    Anonymous