Is it okay to steal? Small or big?

Question got me thinking. Why is it wrong to take something that doesn't belong to you, or take money from someone, but so many find it acceptable to lie about their childrens ages to eat free, or get in free somewhere? I mean, you are decieving someone in order to get something you wouldn't normally get for free. I've even heard people say it's ok to steal from Walmart because it doesn't hurt them. I was raised that stealing was stealing no matter how you put it. Or it's ok to open a credit card with no intentions of paying for it.
If you are a Christian, and it's a sin to bear false witness, or to steal, have you done any of this? If so why? How did you feel about it?
Now I am looking for a discussion on the subject, not a bashing thread. I'm interested to see other people's thoughts on this. And I'm curious if I'm alone in my thinking.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 3:16 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Stealing can be done in so many shapes and forms. Lying about a kids age, in order for them to eat free. That is the same as stealing from a store.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• it is very wrong to steal or lie!! no matter what it is!!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 3:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm Christian and I HAVE stolen from stores...I knew it was wrong when I was doing it and I felt horrible about it but my daughter needed pampers, medicine and we needed toilet paper...I didnt have anyone who could help me at the time and I honestly felt like it was my only option...I don't think it's okay to open credit cards in other peoples names or when you know you have no intention of paying them...I just believe that some things....stealing out of necessity and not out of greed...maybe are more easily forgiven...hope that makes sense
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:20 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think it varies with each situation.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:21 PM on May. 18, 2011

• "it is very wrong to steal or lie!! no matter what it is!!!"

I think this is a dumb comment. What if your children were dying of starvation because you didn't have any means of getting food for them. But you knew that you'd be able to steal a few things for them to eat. Would you let them starve? (And no, you can't answer, "I would go to my church to ask for help. I'm saying if stealing was your ONLY answer, would you steal or let the kids die?)
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Lying, stealing and cheating all go hand in hand in my eyes.

Answer by gemgem at 3:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• @ABeav....she's not saying that she wouldnt steal to provide for her children, I'm sure if that was her only option that she would do it no matter what the consequences...she's just saying that it is wrong...and she's right..it is wrong, it's just that sometimes we have to do what we have to do
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Lucky, your honesty is awesome. I can appreciate it.

I don't see what's wrong with her statement. The Bible does say it's wrong. And if you read the stories in the Bible, there are many stories where God blessed people for not breaking his commandments even though they were suffering. If you are starving and hungry, there are food shelves, assistance, and so much more now a days.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Ahhh, my bad. I'll retract my statement then.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No reason to lie lol..I wish that I could have stayed strong enough to wait it out and see what God was going to provide but when your children are in need it's hard to just sit there ya know? Also I live in a really small town and we don't have food shelves and such here...but I did go get on public assistance shortly after that..I was on it until I met my husband and became SAHM....huh? just realized THAT was how God provided for me! lol...so silly I didnt see that before now lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:36 PM on May. 18, 2011