My 13 year old is driving me bananas!!

He is so mouthy lately! He never used to be like this and he has something to say about everything! I tell him to clean his room and he feels the need to give me 10 reasons why he shouldn't. It's that way with everything! He doesn't do this to his Dad, just me. anyone else having these problems?

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 3:40 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Everyday, in the end i laugh at him and tell him to go do it.. And he does it... I told him the other day to take out the trash and he gave me 5 reasons, all while smiling why he shouldn't, I said I'll give you three guesses why you will and the first two don't count so get on it buddy..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 3:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Uhm....No. Mostly because since they were babies my kids knew momma wasn't messing around when she said to do something. They get told once, maybe twice and then they suffer the consequences.
    If it were me, I would tell him to clean his room twice and when it wasn't done he would come home from school the next day to find the room empty. And his stuff gone forever. In the trash.
    Gradually, he would earn things back like a pillow and a lightbulb. but hey that's me, and I don't mess around and the kids know they don't come first in this house.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I deal with it too on occassion, my son just turned 13 and that's pretty much the same age it started with my oldest as well.
    The other night I told him he could go to his friends until 10p (it was a Friday night), he told me no midnight. So I said you will come home at 10 or I will come up there and drag you out by your hair right now. He decided to come home 1/2 an hour early, he was home at 9:30.
    I do the same thing with the cleaning as girlglow...he has chores, he does get opportunities to renegotiate the time they are to be done, but if I start getting the reasons why he won't or doesn't need to, I say I have plenty of reasons why you will so go do it. He does. There is a level of humor that I keep in the house, so that things don't escalate into arguments, but you still have to maintain the control.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I find that my husband would get into the reasons and back and forth arguing. Where I would not respond to it. So why say it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:20 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Pretty normal at this age, but still not ok.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If he's not responding to you, then get is dad to talk to him. You shouldn't be the only parent trying to get your son to do stuff around the house.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I've heard it's 'typical'. Guess you gotta just grit your teeth and deal?
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Welcome to puberty. But remember you do not have to take the mouth as his parents.
    You can cut him short when he starts with the 10 reasons. "Because I said so." is an appropriate answer. And my favorite phrases at this age "Asked and answered, end of discussion." and "Which part of NO did you not understand the N or the O?".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:43 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I am having this issue with my 11 year old , I think he has worse issues though , mouthy omg mouthy ,,, like I wanna call the cops and say please remove me from this house I'm about to go crazy on this child jk ... I let him have his fit and then calmly I tell him you know the weekend is coming and wow I don't think I will have extra money for that movie or hanging out at the mall. Becuase I tell them that chores are for making money and at the same time your learning about job skills and what people expect of you. If he only listens to Dad then tell him , if you have to tell his Dad this report of him then it knocks down the value of the job and so you will not provide him with any extra things like money , or sometimes my kids know that if I had a good week with them I treat them to bringing Pizza on Friday , and if Mom isn't happy no one is happy so they get the picture now .... but I do remind them when they say no
    barrerajuls

Answer by barrerajuls at 2:19 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Sounds normal, yet annoying. Just remember that it takes two to argue.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:15 PM on May. 19, 2011