Urine Drug testing at Dr's office/visit

Any1 have had recently gotten a urine drug testing when visit your dr? if you are taking meds or not?
I was wondering about this. I never seem them done this before, only when I was pregnant couple times with my kids.
They made me check the box for the medications I was taking on the paper, since I have back problems for almost 6 yrs now and My Dr. has been giving me Tramadol to calm the pain in the morning otherwise Its hard for me to get up or walk, even pee somtimes i hve problems with since the pain is intolerable, and some patches. Same Dr who send to take the urine test on same day prescribed me to other meds for depression that works for pain same time. I got letter later saying I was following good as my dr's prescriptions.

Anyways, am just wondering if they are doing this to every patient even the ones that arent taking pain meds or meds in general, or just doing to the ones who are taking meds?

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 3:45 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• I think if they have reason to believe you are taking drugs they will test you
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I have never been drug tested by my doc. They may just routinely check everyone that is under serious pain management, though . . . .

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I recently read a post from someone that on OHIO they are doing somthing similar and lowering dose's or something like that. I was wondering if this is been done everywhere? the uring test?
    I think its a good idea by the way, because there are some people who abuse this medications. My fiance knew one of his friends who was always popping pills, because as she stated she was sick and in pain alot, But yet she acted completely normal and was able to do as normal unlike me, I have chronic pain and there is a chance I have some kind of disc ? my dr told me. am still investigating what he meant. gettin an MRI again soon, but going back to water therapy soon (which helps my back alot :-) )
    20_mama_3

Comment by 20_mama_3 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I know my friend has prescriptions for medications that are considered controlled substances and he has been given a urine test at the doctor before, I suppose to make sure he doesn't have too much -or none, people will buy anything- in his system, or other illegal drugs. Once he tested positive for weed at the doctor's office but they didn't turn him in to the law or anything. Just told him it showed up and how it could interact with his medications/affect his medical conditions.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My co-worker was complaining about this recently. her script says PRN which means "as you need it" They threatened to take her scripts away because she tested to not have any in her system right then. It was a big to do but she finally got him to actually read the bottle and refill the prescription. BTW we are in Missouri.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Well since some people get multiple prescriptions from multiple doctors and abuse the medications and some people fill prescriptions they don't need and then sell the drugs it probably isn't such a bad idea to keep an eye on things. Then again I've had a doctor who constantly wanted to renew my "as you need it" pain killer even though I told him I had only used two of them in 6 weeks.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:25 AM on May. 19, 2011