Who made the rule that adults shouldn't get birthday gifts?

I'm sorry, but I'm a kid at heart and like getting birthday gifts. Even if it's something small/inexpensive. It's the thought that counts. But over the past few years my siblings decided that it was too much to buy for all the kids and the adults so we (they) decided not to exchange. Now, my fiancee and his family are doing the same thing. I really think the reason is that they can't be bothered to come up with a gift. People wait until a few days before the birthday to say, I can't think of a thing to get you (never looking at my Amazon wishlist with dozens of low priced items). The only people who still think of me are my parents (they send a card and a check) and my fiancee (but he always asks me to help him pick something out so it's not really his thought). This has been bumming me out for a while. Am I the only one who thinks this stinks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Holidays

• I think it totally stinks!! It is so simple to make a B-day special, even with little to no $$ spent. A home made card, home cooked meal, wild flowers, romantic massage etc... my Hub grew up in a house where b-day's were no big deal so he has had to get used to me!! I like the hoop-la of it all. He always makes me feel so special ;-) Talk with your man, with out being fussy, and ask him to make an effort to make you feel super special. He will probably understand and try to fix it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOLL!!!!!

birthday sweetpea

praying4baby985

Answer by praying4baby985 at 3:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My dad still sends a card and a check. And I still get excited over it, because it's literally the only real gift I get. Once you start having kids the whole gift thing goes out the window. Go buy yourself something awesome, I always do. By the time you reach your 40's you won't care about birthdays anymore LOL it'll be just another day.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It is disappointing if your spouse/fiance doesn't at least acknowledge your birthday, but anyone else, eh, not so much. My husband & son will give me a gift & cake, my brother always makes sure to send me a bday card & Mother's Day card (same week of May) and my Dad will give me a gift, but I don't expect anything from the rest of the family. After all, I'm an adult and if I really want something, I can go buy it with my own money. I might get a few cards from other relatives/friends and that's good enough. I don't expect a gift and I appreciate them remembering me at my bday.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:52 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Kinda.......we stopped exchanging years ago. But I love getting gifts.....I love giving them too. I will be honest though, these are extra hard times right now and I can't even by my own groceries half the time, and not exchanging gifts eases the pain of not "having" to give one.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:50 PM on May. 18, 2011