How old?

How old is to old to have a baby? Is there a certain age where doctors might start looking down on it? Do woman in their forties have higher chance of things going wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• over 35 is considered "advanced maternal age" in OB world
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I was 40 when I had my last.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• my mom was 38 when she had my sister, that was 16 yrs ago, sister and mom are still in perfect health.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:52 PM on May. 18, 2011

• http://www.bachfloweradvice.com/faqeng-getting-pregnant-in-your-forties-the-disadvantages.htm

It really depends on mommy. If she is healthy, been communicating with her GP, and knows the possible outcomes, I'd say go for it, but being educated is a big perk in situation like these.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• the older, the more high risk, i think.
    but the healthier, the better, right?
    it's all about the woman. i know ladies my age not healthy enough for childbearing, while some in their 40s would have no trouble or health risk at all.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 5:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• 35/36 is considered advanced maternal age....depending on your dr, your area, there are many things involved. Your overall health, your weight, your history, sexual history, the source of sperm....the older he is, the less swimmies and more things could have issue....last I knew 35 you had to have an amniocentesis to see if there was/is anything wrong with baby. Plus there is the aspect of being able to DO things with your child that a younger parent can do easily like running in the backyard for instance...I know plenty of 30 something moms many had things like gestational diabetes and simple pregnancy related issues. But were over all healthy. Every woman is different and everyone needs to decide what is best for them and their prospective child....I think older moms have more life experience to offer but the risks outweigh the benefits for some and can be selfish, but others are fine. Every case is different kwim?
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 8:16 PM on May. 18, 2011