Glucose testing...

I got my drink from my doctors office for glucose testing and I have to drink it an hour before I come into my appointment in 2 weeks. The person setting up my appointment today was mumbling something about fasting for 12 hours before the test. Although I do not have to do this Im curious as to why some people do have to fast when doing the sugar test?

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 4:03 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Because they want the test results to come back extremly accurate, and eating a meal prior could possibly up the blood sugar points a few, depending on what you .
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 4:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yea you have to fast before you do it because eating or drinking anything other than water can mess up the levels.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 4:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I was allowed to eat a slice of wheat toast with no butter the morning of the test.
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 4:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Just curious because my doctor said I was okay to eat whatever and my appt isnt until late in the day.

campbellb3421

Comment by campbellb3421 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It would be a good idea to fast, or eat lightly before the appointment. They didn't tell me that at all, and I ate a hollow chocolate bunny right before my appointment and needless to say, I failed the screening and had to go in for the longer 3 hour test all worried about having diabetes.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:51 AM on May. 19, 2011