How does someone REALLY know if the school district is good or not?

We are moving and I want to find a "good" school district for our son. How do you really even know that? The school in our city right now has good numbers but my niece goes there and I know they are only good because its only 5 years old and its NOT good in the fact they are over crowded, and have very little programs or funding.. how do you go about finding a "good one"

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:10 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Go to your state's department of education website and they'll have test scores and school ratings. The realtors hands are tied, but other people in the area could give you some insight. Why not drop into the library and ask the librarian about the local schools-- they'll have a good idea and will be able to point out better areas if you decide where you're looking at itsn't what you want.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I asked the ladies here. I got some great feedback. I like the personal experience to go along with the numbers when looking.
    Anonymous

• I have always wondered this myself. I know in CT anyways the realtors cannot tell you anything about the school districts. I was told to ask around in the area where we were interested in. Normally high test scores are a good indication of a good school system.
    kirstenvargo

Answer by kirstenvargo at 4:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'll be honest
    First I go to the Census Bureau and look at the statistics for the city where the school is
    Then I go to GreatSchools.com and look to see how many get free lunches
    Then I go to Facebook or similar social websites for that school's alumni and look for photos, I also go to the schools website and look at photos of the students and teachers and look at the conduct codes. Read the local newspapers online for that school distract and go back a few years to read about fights and about school administrators problems. Also, you can google the name of the school and the local news stations and problems with the schools will come up with news and newspapers reportings.
    Anonymous

• For me it was easy. I grew up in the area. I went to a few different schools. The one I graduated from is like the one I live in. I know it sucks despite the fact that it tests well. They teach the test. So I have looked into alternatives. I look at class-size, what they teach, how they teach, do they let kids naturally advance, what standardized testing is 'required', etc.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Ask around, visit schools where you may move. Look at their test scores as part of what you are looking at, not the whole thing.

Ask to visit some classrooms, see if they will let you. Ask about programs they may have, though, what type are you talking about?

As to the whole "you don't, that's why I homeschool"...ha. Right. I live in a good school district and I know of others around me as well. Try again.
    anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 4:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The best way to find out is to ask other parents that have kids in the district.
    Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• First, I visited www.greatschools.org -- they post test scores so you can see how students do academically at the school. They also allow parents, teachers, and students to rate the school. Beyond that, visit them. Talk with the principal, go through the curriculum. It will take some homework, but it is worth it. We absolutely love the school district we live in now.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would visit schools to the area your moving too and ask around. When you make friends where your going you might also ask them if they have children that attend there that can also be a great source of finding out...
    wolf_angel_81

Answer by wolf_angel_81 at 7:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Why are you moving? Are you moving bc of job? Did you buy a house? Ask the relator!
    spagirl0426

Answer by spagirl0426 at 4:12 PM on May. 18, 2011