Medical costs to rise 8.5% in 2012....

due to the healthcare reform act (Obamacare). Is anyone surprised at this? I thought costs were supposed to go down if it was passed. Weren't we supposed to save $2,500 a year with the new law?

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-insurance/161867-report-medical-costs-to-rise-85-percent-in-2012-in-small-part-due-to-healthcare-law

"The projected increase in 2012 medical costs is slightly higher than the 8 percent projected spike in 2011 from 2010."

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 4:21 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think many of us stated this would happen. But some just refuse to believe it. And still won't.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Makes you wonder what the h**l the health care providers are spending their money on ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My husband's insurance cost (that he pays to have the crap insurance plan from his work) just went up 9.5% the beginning of this year. My employer had an insurance meeting 3 wks ago and he said that insurance costs are on the rise, and he expects our company insurance will probably go up about 9% next year.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No I am not surprised, but I also do not blame the Healthcare Reform Act either. It's been like this for many, many years. Sorry, but our country is literally supported by our medical costs. I've never been able to afford health care coverage outside employer coverage..... but it's been like that for as long as I can remember.... and I'm old!! LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yep mine went up too, we pay over $400/month and thats not including benefits paid by the govt for us that we now have to claim as income to cover OBAMA CARE
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Our insurance has gone up for the last 3 years.We are not only paying more for the insurance, but the co-pays and deductibles have also gone up.
    DSamuels

Comment by DSamuels (original poster) at 4:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• "Makes you wonder what the h**l the health care providers are spending their money on"

If by healthcare providers you mean the traditional meaning of doctors, hospitals, etc. They spend it on overhead (basic expenses to run the practice or hospital, and technology to help diagnose properly, etc), salaries and benefits for employees, malpractice insurance (a huge portion of it goes here).... If you mean the insurance companies... I have no clue what they're spending it on.

Anyway, I am hardly surprised by this. Most logical people could see it coming for quite some time.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:22 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Obamacare, as hillarycare before, has nothing to do with the quality of care, the controlling of costs, or insuring all are covered. It has to do with control of the people. PERIOD!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

***
    Ever hear of MALPRACTICE INSURANCE which is needed because of FRIVOLOUS LAWSUITS?! Then there are the professional continuing education courses and/or the medical school payments, rent/mortgage on your office building, paying for your office staff and THEIR benefits, the cost of medical equipment and supplies, utilities, etc.

My best friend is a high risk OB/GYN and fetal surgeon. She pays $250,000 per YEAR for malpractice insurance! She practices in NJ.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• emm hmm it's gonna be so much better!

absolute sarcasm
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:08 PM on May. 18, 2011