Whats the best way to start jogging?

Any general advice? I want to jog the 5k for the 4th of July. I've just started jogging this week and that is only a month and a half away. Is that reasonable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Google "couch to 5K"
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Couch to 5 k, just google it. I think it's an eight week course. That's how I got started.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 4:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Sure it is, you just need to do it everyday until the 5k., and add distance every week.

Answer by older at 4:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Couch 2 5k - it's a 9 week program. It's great!
    Make sure you have good running shoes, don't worry about speed, that comes in time. Don't be afraid to push yourself. Even if you think you can't, try - you'll almost always surprise yourself. Try to find a running partner. Running with someone helps makeyou accountable plus it's more fun!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• whenever I have taken time off from jogging, I always start back in by setting the treadmill to 45 minutes and alternating walking/jogging. Sometimes, I'll put the walk at a higher incline (so it is tougher) and then lower the incline for my jogging part. It makes the jogging part actually seem easier. Don't try and jog the whole thing right away. And mom_2_cuties is right, don't worry about how fast you're going. Even if you have to walk for 3/4 of the 5k, just concentrate on finishing. You can always enter more 5ks to improve your time. :-)
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 5:12 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree that C25K is a great program. I starting running in September, and I started out running a block, walking a block (similar to C25K), then gradually increased to run 2, walk 1, then run 3, walk 1, until I felt I could try running a longer portion of the route (about 2 miles then). Soon I was running the whole distance and increasing my mileage. Never increase distance more than 10% per week. Also, I do agree that you shouldn't expect to run the whole 5K. I walked short bits of my first 5K, and same with my recent 10K. I'm signed up for my first half marathon in August, and I expect I will probably walk some of it. Don't focus too much on time for this first one, just concentrate on finishing and HAVING FUN!! Races are SO much fun. The start line is humming with energy, and it's great running with so many other like-minded people! I love races! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Have you ever been a jogger? As long as you don't expect to finish it jogging it's reasonable.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:24 AM on May. 19, 2011

• well.......... ive never jogging in teams just myself...1 or 2 miles so......
    greens11

Answer by greens11 at 6:23 PM on May. 19, 2011